Children Baptised during Birmingham, Al DC

by dinah 8 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

I just saw this today.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/metro.ssf?/base/news/124678172586800.xml&coll=2

A couple of things stood out to me. For one the attendance is MUCH less than what it was back in the 80's when I attended DC's in B'ham. The article says a little over 5,000 attended. Back in the day it used to be over 10,000. This convention covered the area from Selma, Alabama to Nashville, TN with parts of East Mississippi included. Sounds like the ranks are dwindling.

Also, 42 were dunked and two of the baptised mentioned were teens. One was 15, the other 12. Toward the end of the article it was stated that many Witnesses are raised in the religion. An 18-year-old who was baptised stated that she was "raised in the truth".

• Gayle
    Gayle

three consecutive weekend conventions of Jehovah's Witnesses planned at the BJCC that are expected to draw a total of 18,000 people. Last weekend, 35 people were baptized in the pool.

So, 18,000 over 3 weekends..Last week, 35 baptized,,do you think about half could be teenagers? Most of the conventions that are reporting baptisms have numbers about like this, roughly about average of .7% of attendance. Circuit assemblies have very much less baptisms so overall doesn't look like much of an increase,,(since some say roughly there's a 1% deathrate in popluations, and then there's a percentage that get disfellowshipped and a percentage that just quit publishing or fade.)

• dinah
    dinah

One of those weekends is the Spanish language convention. I was just surprised how much smaller the attendance numbers were compared to 20 years ago.

• crapola
    crapola

I think the smaller attendance might possibly be due to the fact that now there are at least 2 or 3 DC'S in a city. 20 yrs. ago there was usually just one and everyone attended the same one. Made for a very crowded arena and very long lines to the bathrooms!

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

Personally, I don't think that children should get baptised. That's a huge commitment for young people to take.

• dinah
    dinah

I agree, Jadeen. It really just sets them up to get df'd in their late teens.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger seems to think that's still too old. Anyone that is 6 years old or more should be baptized--and live up to that dedication (and, if they are older and still not baptized, they need to be continually hounded to get baptized).

Anyone with the August Kingdumb Misery will notice that they are pushing the witlesses to recruit (or recapture) more men--and this means that men will be called upon to meet other men (and nothing but other men). Which will lead to more men getting baptized, and more households where the men are dragging everyone in (and f***ing up the children's lives).

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

one of my uberzealot elders family was baptized at 9 and they were so proud!

at the last assembly this child (8 or 9) was bragging about her baptism saving her from school mates drugs and smoking

• snowbird
    snowbird

I tried to find an article about the one in Mobile, Alabama, but couldn't.

Maybe the Press-Register is tired of writing about them.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit