why do some jw's believe their righteousness will save others?

by carla 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• carla
    carla

The conversation usually goes something like this-

jw- nobody knows who will make it

non-jw- the literature clearly states that one must be a jw, must be associated with God's channel, etc..

jw then goes on to give their own personal take on the matter, so where is the 'unity'? My jw once even said that just being associated with him would be 'enough' after asking him how his paradise earth would be paradise when nobody he knows, wife & kids would not be there because they will never, ever become jw's? that was a long time ago now so your guess is as good as mine as to how he thinks today. I do know he gives the public 'nobody knows' routine when asked.

It is very clear to me that the public (including family) view of who makes it is the 'nobody knows' routine but within the group think the answer is that one must be associated with the wt to make it or have a 'hope' of making it. How can jw's say these things with a straight face to outsiders? I suppose you will answer with cognitive dissonance but when you were a jw what did you really, privately, think of your non jw loved ones and their fate?

Sometimes I think that my jw thinks that if he just works hard enough it may be enough to bring his own family along to the new system. Seems jw's add to their own org/fds views on things and then use the 'imperfect men' routine when it is convenient to them?

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

God didn't have any qualms about murdering all but 8 out of several million in the flood myth, so why should j-dubs expect him to be any more lenient this time?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The idea is probably derived from 1 Corinthians 7:12ff:

To the rest I say--I and not the Lord--that if any believer has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. And if any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy through her husband. Otherwise, your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so; in such a case the brother or sister is not bound. It is to peace that God has called you. Wife, for all you know, you might save your husband. Husband, for all you know, you might save your wife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit