KH weddings

by rockmehardplace 9 Replies latest jw friends

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

i did not want to hijack the other thread on KH funerals. when i got married, my wife and i were married at the KH. i wanted a particular family member as my best man but because he was not a baptized brother, they would not allow it. i was told that if i wanted to use him, i could get married somewhere else and i would have to find another brother to perform the marriage vows. this all happened 4 days before the wedding. we had already paid for the tux, and the invitation printed with the wedding party. there was no way that we could secure another place in 4 days. to say that my relative was pi$$ed is not even close to what happened. he came to the wedding for me and my wife, but to this day he will not have anything to do with witnesses. he was always very favorable up to that point. what really bothered me though was that there was a wedding only a short time after ours and they let someone in who was only studying and was known for still living a "debauched lifestyle".

• sir82
    sir82

Yep sounds familiar.

I've notice in recent years that a lot of JW weddings, even where everyone in the wedding party is in "good standing", are held in locations outside the Kingdom Hall. Even some elders' daughters are opting for this. I'd say more than half the weddings I've been to in the past 5 years have been away from the KH.

Has anybody else noticed this?

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

My son married an elder's daughter in Hawaii on the beach. It was presided over by an elder from one of the congregations in Hawaii. Only relatives and close family members attended because of the cost of the plane flight from the mainland. It was fun having a vacation in Hawaii and not having to dress up in a suit for a wedding at a KH and having to run into various arrogant brothers.

• undercover
    undercover

I've noticed that more weddings are taking place outside the hall...though I'm inactive and don't get invited to too many JW weddings anymore. Two of the last three that I attended were not in the KH. And both weddings had family members who were not JWs in the wedding party.

Then again, my wedding, many, many moons ago was not in the KH (looking back at the photos, I'm so glad it wasn't now). The elders were slow to give consent on the hall so we said the heck with it and made other plans. By the time they gave their okay, we had already rented a community center, hired a DJ and caterer and had invitations printed. I think the elders purposely stalled because they didn't want to let us use the hall (long story not worth rehashing) but couldn't give us a legit reason, so they delayed giving an answer, knowing we would have to make other plans in order to get everything done on time.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Getting married in a KH would be like getting married in a WalMart.

• sir82
    sir82
    Getting married in a KH would be like getting married in a WalMart.

Not quite - Walmarts have windows and better music.

• arwen
    arwen

A young girl that I was very close to is getting married in the KH soon. I met her only sister the other day in the street and she told me she that she was not ALLOWED to be in the wedding party.. She said the elders at first said it was because she had tatoos on her arm and then just flatly made the bride tell her she could not be in the wedding.. she is not baptized and has not attented meetings since she was a teen but is very close to her sister.. Her father is "allowed" to walk her down the aisle and he was never a JW nor attended meetings.. so it is very hyprocritical that this is happening and the sister of the bride is very hurt. The groom's parents.. both JW's are making a lot of the wedding plans as they have some bucks.. anyway, it is sad...I love both of these girls..and know if things were different ....... The sister of the bride is going to protest the way things came down by standing outside the KH and not going in for the wedding.. She is very upset.. I hope this will make more than a few people think how sad things are in this "cult"..

• imconfused
    imconfused

We thankfully got married in a hotel. At the time we were going to get married in the KH - even tho we didnt want to, as it was a ugly, bland, windlowless place, would have to have a stupid talk (which were usually counsel sounding), rubbish music/song & people would show up who we didnt want there. In our hall we were the 1st to ever do this, but since then a few others have to mainly for the reason mentioned, that they want a family member who isnt a JW to be in the weddig party.

As it turned out there was some wierd law (uk) at the time (dont know if is still the same now) that if you got married in a religious place you had to live in the area for 7 days prior to it all & as we lived away from our home town were we were getting married we had the "perfect excuse"

Some people from the hall tho actually went up to my mam and asked her if the reason we werent getting married in the hall was because we'd slept together before being married and now werent allowed - cheeky bastards! and loads of them expected to be invited - haha free loaders, only a select few were invited & yes the freeloaders were offended as"theyd know mw since I was a little girl" - idiots

• Scully
    Scully

Same thing happened with our wedding - my best friend from my home congregation was not allowed to be my maid of honor because she was not baptized yet. It created such a stink that several JWs who I had invited from home boycotted the wedding, and my friend was so offended that she never spoke to me again.

A few months later Mr Scully's brother got married at the same KH, by the same Elderâ„¢. His bride was newly baptized (in fact, they delayed the wedding so she could be baptized when they married) and had no close friends or relatives who were JWs. They allowed her to have her opposed-to-JWs sister as maid of honor, and her father walked her down the aisle. I guess they didn't want to offend people who were already offended by the religion.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Some people from the hall tho actually went up to my mam and asked her if the reason we werent getting married in the hall was because we'd slept together before being married and now werent allowed - cheeky bastards!

Oh, so typical. And note how tactless witnesses are too. Stupid drones.

I encouraged everyone that I knew NOT to get married in the kingdumb hall. They carpet is shag, the chairs are cheap, there's not windows... need I say more?

It's just a building.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit