"Kids say the darndest things"

by Gram 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Gram
    Gram

When my daughter was little we were "active" -- one time she asked to say the prayer at dinner. We said ok. She said a nice little prayer and ended it by adding "and thank you for the beer, the wine and the champagne."

Another time coming home from a meeting she looked up at the sliver of the moon and said "that looks like a giant toenail".

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I remember reading a watchtower during our family study once. It said "secular work" but I accidently read "sexual work." Awkward.

When I was in kindergarten and my fellow classmates saluted the flag, I put my hands over my ears and scrunched my eyes shut. The teacher grabbed my hands and pulled them down.

It's amazing, when I was a kid, I knew the basics of what was "right" and "wrong" in the JW sense and wasn't afraid to be upfront about it. But I didn't have a concept of apropriate behavior as a little kid (go figure, right?) and I didn't understand the details or reasonings as a teenager. And by that time I was baptized. It's really easy to parrot the things your parents teach you--and believe them--but not understand them. And they still let you get baptized and make you live and die by that.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

A relative of mine aged around 6 years old had been christmas shopping and we asked what she'd bought for various people.

She innocently announced that she'd bought some marbles for her gran "because she's lost hers"!

The marbles were for said gran's solitaire game, the poor child just hadn't realised that losing one's marbles has an alternative meaning lol!

• crapola
    crapola

I remember at a book study many years ago the brother conducting the study called on his little girl to read a scripture and she could'nt read real well yet. Well, I don't remember exactly what the real word was that she was supposed to be reading but she kept saying "orgasim" for the word. That poor brother tried to stop her after the first time but she was so engrossed in trying to read that she did'nt hear him. He was SO embarrassed and we all could hardly control our laughter mainly beacuse of how he looked.

And then just last week my little 2 year old grand daughter said the F word. Nearly shocked her parents to death. Needless to say she was talked to and then proceeded to say it again, got a spanking. Then when I was baby sitting Thurs. I heard her say it again. I said, Chloe, what did you say? And she looked at me with a scared look on her face and said, "Bad, Nana". So she is beginning to understand that it's bad. Just hope she does'nt slip up at Walmart or somewhere!

• JeffT
    JeffT

A woman a used to work with told me once that her son (about four at the time) came up to her once and said "Mommy is mother****** a bad word?" She had no idea where he heard it.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Art Linkletter had a show [or show segment] called Kids Say the Darndest Things. Mr. Linkletter asked one little girl her name. She stated that it was "Sharon."

"How do you spell your name?" asked Linkletter.

"S-h-e-r-r-i-n," was her reply.

"That's an unusual spelling," he responded.

"My mommy was still under ether," she declared without missing a beat.

[The above is what I recollect - I was watching the program.]

http://books.google.com/books?id=zGOW9Sh6yDUC&dq=kids+say+the+darndest+things+quotes&printsec=frontcover&source=in&hl=en&ei=D6BPSs3pB5L-sgP5xbyqDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=11

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

We were in a restaurant and our six year old son was getting a bit flippant and overly rambunctious in his seat. So hubby says, in a playful but warning way "If you don't knock it off, I'm gonna cuff ya'." Our son stops, scrunches up face in deep thought, then looks at his father and says, "You're gonna cough on me? That won't hurt."

Our daughter, at age 2 or just under, was in the carseat in the back, and on the way home from meeting hubby and I were trying to get her to say "Jesus". She was not happy, and didn't want to comply, but after several attempts at encouraging her, she says "Jesus" like an old woman cussing out the cat. We laughed so hard!

Cracking open an egg as he helped me bake a cake, our little man about 4 at the time, says "come out little chickie" to the egg.

Same age, when he wanted an apple peeled without the skin, he would ask for a "naked apple".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit