Holy Spirit

by KDubbz 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• KDubbz
    KDubbz

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I'm still going to post this. I flew to Philly from Miami to visit my parents on Tuesday. I'm staying in Philly for a week. Anyways, my parents had some JW brothers and sisters coming over for Watchtower Study. I really don't remember what the WT study is about. At one point, I decided to join the study just to see what they are talking about. One of the brothers brought up something about the Holy Spirit. He was saying that all churches got it wrong. Holy Spirit isn't a person at all and stuff like that.....blah blah blah. I interrputed him and told him that I got a question. I showed him John 16:7-8:

7 Nevertheless, I am telling YOU the truth, It is for YOUR benefit I am going away. For if I do not go away, the helper will by no means come to YOU ; but if I do go my way, I will send him to YOU . 8 And when that one arrives he will give the world convincing evidence concerning sin and concerning righteousness and concerning judgment:

I asked him who the "helper" is. He said it was the Holy Spirit. Then I asked him why did the Bible refer to him as "him" or "he" if he isn't a person? Shouldn't you be calling objects "it" instead of "he" or "she"? I showed him and other JWs some more scriptures about the Holy Spirit and they just sat there in silence. My dad said "Well sometimes the Bible is hard to understand. We are waiting for Jehovah to clear this up for us." It was a very awkard night for all of them because they didn't really have any answer to this. My dad didn't look too happy after they left.

I really don't know if I did handle this situation correctly by making my dad pissed off but I did what I had to do.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You did very, very well.

Your dad is the one with the problem now.

It will be interesting to see how he handles it.

Keep in touch.

Cheers

Chris

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

why would anyone get pissed off if you ask a bible related question.

Yes the JWs say that the holy spirit is in fact a "force" and not a person - sounds very starwars-ish to me ... "use the force jedi/I mean brother Forster".

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi KD,

I really don't know if I did handle this situation correctly by making my dad pissed off but I did what I had to do.

You are totally correct, the Holy Spirit is a person, even the NWT agrees and not just this verse you have found! There are others. In fact read John 14 in a decent bible and it will be even clearer John 14

They don't want you to know the Holy Spirit is a person because He has a voice and they don't want you listening to Him.

They want you listening to them only and their lies, which as you see do not add up.

My advise is, keep listening to the Holy Spirit. He is speaking to you, I have read your posts and felt that in my spirit too. How do I know that?

John 14:26 (New International Version)

26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 14:15-17 (New International Version)

Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit
    15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

All the best, Stephen

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The WT will counter with the fact that many impersonal things are given personal traits in the bible, such as the land needing to rest.

• glenster
    glenster

The holy spirit is called spirit, which can mean the invisible being of some-
    one.

Poetic personification is meant when personal attributes are given to
    something known not to be personal. Power can be personal or impersonal. The
    Bible gives the holy spirit as power and personal.

The way to make sure followers believed in an impersonal holy spirit would
    have been to have it called power but not spirit, never called personal things,
    and called "not personal."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit