Who worshiped Jehovah's wife?

by Doug Mason 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

When Leolaia responded to me in a recent post, she generated a question in my mind. Firstly, I provide parts of her post, and then I pose my question.

----------------

Leolaia wrote (in part):

The text of the OT is pluriform and one may recognize three main text traditions, the Palestinian (represented by the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Samaritan Pentateuch, and a few other sources), the Egyptian (represented mainly by the LXX), and the Babylonian (represented mainly by the MT). In some books, especially 1-2 Samuel, Jeremiah, and Daniel, the differences between the various text types can be quite large.

In the case of Jeremiah, the LXX and the Dead Sea Scroll versions (as found in 4QJer b and 4QJer d ) are shorter than the MT by some 13%. When the differences are examined systematically, it becomes clear that the MT contains many additions in a developing tradition. Basically, there were two different editions of the book in antiquity, and they developed on different trajectories from each other in terms of redaction and composition.

The oldest manuscript of Jeremiah, 4QJer a (which is also one of the oldest Dead Sea Scrolls, dating to c. 200 BC), is chock full of scribal additions and corrections. ... Regional differences are very important to keep in mind, especially with a book like Jeremiah.

-------------------------

My question:

Through an examination of these variants, is it possible to identify which group (family or geographic) used the name El, which used YHWH ("Jehovah"), and which group worshiped Asherah as the wife of YHWH?

Doug

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Doug:

Thank you! Appreciate your hard work!

N.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    The text of the OT is pluriform and one may recognize three main text traditions, the Palestinian (represented by the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Samaritan Pentateuch, and a few other sources), the Egyptian (represented mainly by the LXX), and the Babylonian (represented mainly by the MT). In some books, especially 1-2 Samuel, Jeremiah, and Daniel, the differences between the various text types can be quite large.

Quite so. When James Usher decided to add up the date of human creation from the three base manuscripts, the total ages were: (creation to flood by ages of the patriarchs) -

Samaritan - 1307 years...Hebrew - 1656 years...Greek - 2,242 years. Of course, he picked the Hebrew for his weird chronology - as does the WTBTS.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Athirat (= Asherah) is first attested in Ugarit (Ras Shamra), North from Israel, as the consort of El, father of gods. The earlier traditions about Yhwh have a Southern setting (Edom, Midian) and he is rather depicted as a storm-, warrior god (like El's son Hadad Baal in Ugaritic mythology). So it is likely that the connection between Yhwh and Asherah is one of many features in the gradual merging of the figures of Yhwh and El in Israel.

Here's a decent Wiki article for a start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asherah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit