by rockmehardplace 7 Replies latest jw friends

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

went to the movies with some JW friends over the weekend. a preview for this movie was shown. when we left the movie, everyone talked about this preview and how we would see this all happen in our time - minus the govt ships taking people to safety. anyway, i commented how disturbing the scenes were of the world being destroyed and everyone else was thought it was so neat and exciting to see that (especially the vatican being destroyed and all of Babylon the Great). when i said i had a hard time that people would have to suffer during this, is this what a loving god would do? everyone looked at me as if i was from another planet.

http://www.whowillsurvive2012.com/

• Quandry
    Quandry

I hope it has a happy ending.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

They're firmly planted in a Thought Reform haze. Anything WT = Good. Anything contradictory = Bad.

Welcome to the real world.

Us evil apostates don't like to see innocents suffer.

Imagine that.

• awildflower
    awildflower

The Mayans did not have distruction in mind with that date 2012. To them it was the end of time as we know it, not the end of the world. That's all hollywood. But the Mayans and 2012 is a very interesting topic!.......wf

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

That has to be the silliest movie preview I have ever seen.

As a rule I typically enjoy these types of absurd, cliche packed, films. If you happen to go, I'll be the guy in the theater laughing out loud with his buddies like he is in myster science theater 3000.

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

i just find it interesting that 10 years ago, even 5 years ago, i would have thought that was the coolest thing to0. now, i look at it and am horrified and disgusted that so many innocent people, mothers, fathers, children, husbands, wives, friends, family, old, young, babies, etc all die because they chose to not take magazines when some strangers show up at the door.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

When I was young and dumber, I used to think surviving Armageddon would be so cool, because I was only thinking of how it would affect me, and I was going to survive and get to pet lions and koalas.

Well, I discovered I can pet a lion at a traveling animal show at a carnival, and that people dying all around you is an unimaginable trauma I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I know, Jehovah is supposed to make some sort of magic happen where watching people die horribly won't bother us, or protect us from it all in some sort of magic bubble of denial. But, how would it be a lesson in not crossing the BIG J if we didn't see the horror? Isn't that the point of it?

Yeah, it's fear stuff.

A minister I once read said that the Old Testament God was fearsome because mankind was not yet reconciled to God. He dealt with humans as enemies, all those except the Jews who were in a truce with him, IF they obeyed his law, but even then, it was somewhat of an adversarial situation. Jesus did away with that and made humans able to walk in peace, love and harmony with God, which he can now reciprocate. Finally, this is an answer that made sense to me about why the OT God is such a bastard, but the God Christ and his disciples preached was forgiving, loving and giving.

The God reconciled to man treats us as beloved children and with love and acceptance through Christ.

This is so much more inviting of a God than the Yahweh the Israelites were always cringing before. But, it was the only way he could deal with humankind until Christ.

As a metaphor for the evolution of humans becoming a more peaceful and intelligent race (we continue to hope) and that reflected in how we view God, it works pretty well too.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Thank you for sharing your interesting experience and observations.

As I look back on my JW life I find it amazing that I didn't realize the full horror of what I used to believe until after I left. I don't think I was an uncaring person. I don't think most JWs are either. But it's hard to look at the full ramifications of what Armageddon would mean without being horrified. WT teachings about Armageddon make Hitler look like he was just aiding in God's work don't they? The holocaust was the worst genocide the world has ever seen. Yet that would be a drop in the bucket next to what the WT imagines God to be planning. The excuse for these beliefs being that somehow God's sense of justice demands this.

I can only conclude now that it was the mind control that allowed us to believe it. From a clear mind, I could never worship a God who would do such a thing. And I can no longer believe those who tell me He would. The logical thing is to question those who interpret the Bible in this way. But when you are being manipulated not to, you have to come up with other ways to justify it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit