Too bad our daughter was born....

by Albert Einstein 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Anyone remember the summer convention in 1987 ,and the talk "Responsible Child Rearing in this Time of the End " ?? I do .

I was seven months along with my third child . The speaker from Bethel (that had no children) made the rest of us with children feel like we were being so ignorant for having babies in this obvious time of the end . As I waddled down the aisle to the bathroom I felt like crawling under a rock .

• Quandry
    Quandry

Thats what on many occasions our long time family friend (an elder) told us. Believe it or not, they were saying this in her presence (she was 16 at the time)!!!

I am having a hard time with the thought that this person is a long time "friend" if he's been saying this in front of your daughter.

I would tell him, in front of my daughter, that she is the most precious person on earth, not burdonsome in any way, and that a real friend would never make anyone feel guilty for having a child, nor the child guilty for being born. I would then show him the door.....

Shame on you for allowing him to do this "on many occasions."

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Quandry - now I see I wasnt clear enough: It is about THEIR daughter. We were childless at that time.... You can be sure he would never mention that in front of our kid!

BTW: He was often telling us "It is great you dont have a child .. blah blah blah" On which I always reacted: "But what if we want to have a child???" And he did not understand what am I talking about....

• Kahlua
    Kahlua

"hi kalhua

Have you rather than listen to hearsay from family members confronted your mum on this? You habouring these thougths and it's better to get them out."

My mother is now in her 80s and her mind is going fast. No need to say anything more now. She wouldn't remember anyway. In the last few years I have brought up the subject a few times how I was abused as a child - beat & pinched at meetings for not sitting still. She denies it and only remembers one time she had taken me out 3 times and whipped me. I was just beginning to speak in complete sentences. On the way back in the last time she asked me if I was going to behave. I said, "I do it again".

When I was about 2 yrs old a CO spanked me because my parents let me run around the KH after a Thursday night meeting.

I have asked why in the world she had me because the Society was telling them even back in the late 1940s not to have children. She just blamed it on my dad. Said it was his fault she got pregnant.

It is NOT hearsay from family members. It is obvious when seen over a lifetime.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I was df'd for 18 years before my brother became inactive. Upon which my jw mom told her "worldly" sister that she wished she'd never had children.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

When I tell people about the anti-children sentiment that is held by many JWs, they think it's absolutely crazy. It's a great anti-witness.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Hi Reniaa,

It would be so nice of you if you apologized to kahlua.

Villabolo

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I agree Villabolo

• chickpea
    chickpea

it was always amazing to me
    that the term applied to a child
    born to a former CO and wife
    was "circuit breaker", yet no one
    ever disparages the needs of elderly
    or ailing parents being its own brand
    of circuit breaking...

i rejoice that each of my
    living children remain in
    relationship with me,
    despite my having inflicted
    the pain of an isolating JW
    childhood on them....

they have all forgiven me,
    and excused my lapse in
    judgment by saying
    "mom, i know you thought
    you were doing the right thing"

thank you lovelies

• caliber
    caliber
    Have you rather than listen to hearsay from family members confronted your mum on this? You habouring these thougths and it's better to get

them out

I think Reniaa has mastered the meaning of the word confrontation... now move on to a new word

like assume ( ass/u/me)

assume....meaning #4.... 5 : to take as granted or true :suppose <I assume he'll be there>

Back to actual topic... the Bible is full of Scriptures that speak of the blessings of children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit