praying for EXTRA holy spirit

by asilentone 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• asilentone
    asilentone

I do remember the brothers giving the prayer at the Kingdom Hall in the 70s and 80's asking for EXTRA holy spirit, Later on, I do remember that the brothers cannot ask Jehovah for EXTRA holy spirit. How come the change? I would like to see some explanation about it. Thank you!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Spiritual food does not come with "second helpings".

You get what you get.

• steve2
    steve2

The whole idea of asking for extra "holy spirit"is ludicrous, as if success or otherwise depends on getting more than the usual amount of magic dust. The things we used to swallow!

• asilentone
    asilentone

Cameo-d, How much did you know about the witnesses when you were in the 1970's, 1980's? I grew up as a JW since birth, I have the feeling that you did not have the same kind of experiences most of us have been through, Am I correct?

• wobble
    wobble

My old man, bless him ,used to rail against these kind of expressions,

"How can you have a PORTION of Holy Spirit ? " he would ask, he also hated it when Dubs used "Jehovah" or "Dear Father" to excess in a prayer.

As the old boy could clearly see these and other problems with the Borg,why oh why did he join,or at least why not leave before my whole family and me were trapped in the cult ?

love

Wobble

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Because of what they believe The Holy Spirit is, it's easy to see why they could feel it's possible to ask for an "extra portion" because they perceive it as an impersonal force, like electricity. The Holy Spirit is spoken of in that manner often in the WTS literature.

For a Witness, it's like asking for more electricity or a bigger battery to make something work better. Or like asking for more food so you'd have more energy.

Other religions perceive the The Holy Spirit as a personal manifestation of God, therefore, asking for more of "it" as though it were extra mayonnaise on a sandwich would seem ludicrous and wrong. Asking for The Holy Spirit is sufficient and complete, it isn't quantified as a substance.

• ssn587
    ssn587

Praying for holy spirit was such n onsense, you either had it or you didn't. You didn't get to pray for a bigger or even a smaller piece. It is about as stupid as saying jehovah god. or james dad or some such, steve dad bill dad etal. just stupid

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

After crossing Jordan, Elijah asked Elisha what would he desire of Elijah before they were parted.

Elisha asked for a double portion of the spirit that Elijah possessed.

Elijah stated that he had asked a hard thing.

We understand the double portion was the firstborns’ portion and not twice as much.

http://www.heraldmag.org/olb/contents/treatises/Lorenz%20ELISHA.htm

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I think it came out in one of the KMs a couple of years ago that it was not appropriate to ask for extra holy spirit. I always thought it was silly anyway.

• wobble
    wobble

The Holy Spirit is a person,so I suppose you could ask that He be with you more often ?

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit