So, will Bro. J's "Memorial" be held at the Hall?

by ShirleyW 8 Replies latest jw friends

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

After all, remember after the Thriller video came out, it was reported that he donated a rather sinful amount of millions to the borg. . . that oughtta buy him a spot in the Hall for his final appearance, dontcha think? And if his mother still claims to be in, do you think she just might mention to the local Hall in Beverly Hills to hold his service ? ? ?

• yknot
  • asilentone
    asilentone

I doubt it, you just never know.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I was thinking about it too, but I doubt it will be in a hall. Probably will be a JW elder if his mom is still 'in' though. She will consider it a great witness. All the money in the world can't get you a KH funeral after you were DF'd from what I understand. I'm sure there will be a JW spin.

Poor mucked up mess of a man. I am sure that eternity can't hurt him anymore than this life has. One thing for sure-he is proof that all the money, fame and adoration of the world mean nothing, and can fix nothing, if you are that damaged.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Muslims don`t get memorials in Kingdom Halls.......................................OUTLAW

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Don't be surprised. Here in L.A. there are so many JW Jackson fans. I dare to say that Woodland hiils East Congregation might do it. Or Perhaps Fairfax Congregation

• blondie
    blondie

I don't see it being at any KH...just based on size accommodation. But a secular location, perhaps? A jw in good standing giving a talk...not without the permission of the BOE in his congregation and I don't see that happening.

http://pl709.pairlitesite.com/sandbox/sociology/other/ex-jehovah-s-witness-michael-jackson-dead.html

Ex Jehovah's Witness Michael Jackson Dead

Written by Randall Watters
    Thursday, 25 June 2009 23:11

Michael Jackson the former Jehovah's Witnesses has died of cardiac arrest it has been reported in Los Angeles today, Thursday 25th June. The reclusive star was reported to have had issues with prescription drugs during the buildup to a 50 date London tour. Firefighters arrived to a 911 call to his Bel Air home after he had collapsed and took him to UCLA Medical Center.

Before his death at age 50, Michael Jackson was one of the most accomplished musicians in history.

Jackson, the seventh child in the famous Jackson family, first rose to fame at the age of 11 as a member of The Jackson 5, with hits like “I Want You Back,” “ABC,” “The Love You Save” and “I’ll Be There.” The pop star went solo in 1971 and released some of the best-selling albums of all time, including 1979’s “Off The Wall,” 1982’s “Thriller” and 1987’s “Bad.”

Jackson’s “Thriller” holds the title of the best-selling album of all time and was the first album to spawn seven Billboard Hot 100 top 10 singles, including the title track, “Billie Jean,” “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’,” and “Beat It.”

Jackson, who was often referred to as the “King of Pop,” redefined the art of music videos with groundbreaking offerings like “Beat It,” “Billie Jean,” and “Thriller,” which became staples on MTV during the 1980s.

Jackson was also known for this amazing live performances and massively successful world tours, where fans could see his signature moonwalk live.
    Some more newsworthy moments in Jackson’s life included:

- On January 27, 1984, Jackson suffered second-degree burns to his scalp while filming a Pepsi commercial in LA when pyrotechnics for commercial set his hair on fire.

- In 1985, Jackson co-wrote “We Are The World” with Lionel Richie and recorded the single with a slew of popular singers and recording artists, under the name USA for Africa, which became one the best-selling singles of all time with 20 millions copies sold and raised millions of dollars to help fight famine in Africa.

- In the 1990s, Jackson was accused of sexual abuse by a 13-year-old boy and investigated by police. On January 1, 1994, Jackson settled out of court with the boy’s family for $22 million.

- In 1994, Jackson wed Lisa Marie Presley. They divorced less than two years later.

- Jackson married again in 1996 to his nurse Deborah Rowe. They had a son together, Michael Joseph Jackson, Jr., also known as “Prince,” and a daughter, Paris Michael Katherine Jackson. The couple divorced in 1999.

- Jackson had a third child in 2002, Prince Michael Jackson II, also known as “Blanket,” with an undisclosed surrogate. Jackson made headlines in November of 2002, when he dangled “Blanket” out of a window of a hotel room in Berlin.

During recent years, Jackson was forced to give up the title of his Neverland Ranch to the Sycamore Valley Ranch Co. LLC. He had gone into default on the $24.5 million he owed on the property.

The star had been slated to headline 50 sold-out shows at London’s O2 Arena beginning in July 2009, billed “This Is It” – his final London performances, which were being billed as the singer’s comeback.

In March, AEG president and CEO Tim Leiweke, told Billboard that Michael was “very healthy. Despite everything you read about him, he was fine. The man took a physical for us to go do these concerts.”

In addition to his three children, Jackson is survived by siblings Rebbie, Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, La Toya, Marlon, Randy and Janet – along with his parents Joseph Walter “Joe” and Katherine Esther.

During his decades spanning career, Jackson was honored with 13 Grammys, 13 number one singles and sold more than 750 million albums. He is also one of the few artists to have been honored with a double induction into the Rock and Rock Hall of Fame.

Question: Does any one remember what it was the Watchtower put out shortly after all the Michael Jackson eruption? I remember there were comments, but just shy of a name. We all knew who they were talking about. Any one remember?? It was a Watchtower article.

Answer #1: I can add to this the known fact that the WTS harrassed Jackson about the Thriller video, causing him to add a disclaimer to the video that it did not represent his beliefs about the supernatural. He also gave an 'interview' in the Awake! magazine saying he was naughty and sorry and he would never do it again. Does nayone have that? Answer #2: This might be the one. Awake! May 22, 1984 p. 19-20 "What About Music Videos? ***Would Never Do It Again!" In another popular video, Thriller, the performer is seen to transform first into a "cat person," then a dancing "monster." Evidently not wanting viewers to conclude that it promoted spiritism, the film begins with the disclaimer: "Due to my strong personal convictions, I wish to stress that this film in no way endorses a belief in the occult.-Michael Jackson." Nevertheless, it was so realistic that some who saw it admitted that they were horrified at first. What was this short film intended to convey? And how does the performer, Michael Jackson, feel about it in looking back? "I would never do it again!" says Jackson. "I just intended to do a good, fun short film, not to purposely bring to the screen something to scare people or to do anything bad. I want to do what's right. I would never do anything like that again." Why not? "Because a lot of people were offended by it," explains Jackson. "That makes me feel bad. I don't want them to feel that way. I realize now that it wasn't a good idea. I'll never do a video like that again!" He continues: "In fact, I have blocked further distribution of the film over which I have control, including its release in some other countries. There's all kinds of promotional stuff being proposed on Thriller. But I tell them, 'No, no, no. I don't want to do anything on Thriller. No more Thriller.'" Also I got a book called Michael Jackson: The Magic and the Madness by J. Randy Taraborreli. This book goes into some interesting situations that the gloved one had with the elders in his congregation. I quote some things from the book: "Despite the fact that Michael was a devote Jehovah's Witness-and no doubt had donated quite a bit of money to the religion-the church's elders were extremely upset with him, mostly because of the "Thriller" video. p.324 "But before he had even finished work on the "Thriller" video it brought to a head the ongoing conflict between the church elders of the Encino Kingdom Hall and Michael regarding his fame and his career....Im meetings between Michael and the elders...he was not receptive....He refused to make any kind of statement repudiating his work, and the church insisted he should .....Finally, when the elders threatened to force him to leave the religion Michael became extremely upset" p.326 This obviously had a serious effect on the gloved one so he decided to destroy the tapes. We're talking about a million dollars of work here. It was brought out to Michael that the church elders should not dictate Michael's "artistry." Michael's attention was brought to the fact that Bella Lugosi was a very religious man yet he played out his artistry as Dracula and Lugosi's religious beliefs had no bearing on his "art." So it was suggested that Michael put a disclaimer at the beginning of the video stating that the video in no way reflect Michael's religious convictions. Michael agreed to this. John Landis, the director, didn't want to do it but if he didn't agree then the whole thriller video was going to be scrapped. The book continues: "How ironic that Michael's benevolent spirit wasn't enough to satisfy the elders of his Jehovah's Witness congregation. They expected him to restrict his entertainment practices as well. At this time, Michael was called into another meeting with the witness elders over the "Thriller" video. Again they told him that they were considering excluding Michael from the religion. Michael left the meeting particularly shaken. He did not want to be disfellowshipped. He decided he would disown "Thriller" if he had to....Furthermore Michael would make a public statement about his sin in an issue of the Witness periodical, Awake! ( May 22, 1984 ) p.359 Finally Michael became like the rest of us in this group. "In the spring of 1987 Michael disassociated himself from the congregation and that he no longer wants to be known as a Jehovah's Witness."
  • shopaholic
    shopaholic

I remember when he disassociated himself. It was all over the news at the time. I also remember a number of studies stopped studying with JWs when they understood what it meant to DA and that he did it because he didn't want to be DF'd. He wanted to leave on his terms.

I seriously doubt if a JW conducts his memorial, let alone have it at the KH.

• The Rapster
    The Rapster

Fairfax Congregation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit