My first Christmas ornament

by Mulan 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

Last night we went to downtown Seattle, to ride the Annual Holiday Carousel. (the rain stopped for that whole day, thankfully) Almost my entire family came, except for our youngest son and his wife, who work evenings. So there were 3 of our adult kids and their mates, seven grandkids, the father of one of our step granddaughters, who came from Sweden for Christmas, and Princess' sister in law and husband who came from Boston for the holidays........we jammed the elevators!! After we rode the carousel, and took pictures, and had a yummy Starbucks treat, we went into a big department store to their Christmas section and looked at ornaments. The children all bought ornaments, and my sweet husband bought one for us, that is a red velvet heart, like a tiny pillow, and embroidered on it was "Our first Christmas together---2001". Isn't that just the sweetest thing?

Someone has posted about their ornament that says the same thing, but was in 1988. I had told him about that, so when he saw it, he had to buy it. We don't have a tree, but I have that ornament. I still may buy a tiny tree...........

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• JeffT
    JeffT

The 1988 ornament is ours.

In about ten years you will be able to confound your friends who will be trying to figure out why you got a first Christmas ornament 14 years after you got married.

• forgetmenot
    forgetmenot

This is my (immediate) family's first real Christmas. We're going to give presents and everything. However we didn't deck the house with lights, even though nobody from the Hall would come and see us anyway. We have two trees. My sister's is about three feet tall and mine is only about a foot tall. But I love both of them! Last summer I found tiny antique ornaments for my little tree. My tree will also be the centerpiece for a table decoration at a "Christmas" dinner. A close family to mine gave us three Christmas movies. As I put one of them back in their boxes I was thinking about how a couple of years ago I would be aghast at what I had just watched. I thought about how much trouble we would be in if anyone knew (mind raced to where would be hide them if any one came over!). But then I realized that it had been ages the last time someone from the Hall had come to visit to "encourage". It just drives me nuts. The last time someone came to visit, it was this elderly couple out in service. They stopped by to see how we were and all. In fact, it's been so long ago, that one of them has already passed away (like a year ago).

What drives me even more nuts is the attitude of the rest of my family who are still JW's. My aunt and her husband are "slackers” but they still believe the organization is the way, the truth, and the light. She had made a comment to my grandfather (a prominent elder in the congregation) that no one even calls to see why they don't go to meetings anymore. In fact, the only one who called from the congregation was a lady that wanted to know if they wanted an Entertainment Book. My grandfather said that he didn't think much of that lady anyway. I thought, "if the only lady who called them is not thought highly of, then what of the countless others who didn't even call?" At least the lady called them! But I just get so worked up about how much love JWs show and how much they think they show.

I’m so glad that I no longer have to deal with the JW’s emotional constipation! Oh, and have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!

• Sky
    Sky

Hey Mulan, I am coming your way today.
    Getting ready to get on a plane to Seattle!
    My aunt will be picking me up. I will be there until the 30th.
    I LOVE SEATTLE!
    Kisses!
    Sky

• Latte
    Latte

Hey Mulan…..that is so nice! So romantic also….
    I would really like one myself….it’s our first Xmas, and I intend to make it a good one! We’ve got the tree so it’s looking good!

Forgetmenot,

Yes, I too, am banking on no JW’s calling! Oh! the love…….just overwhelmes you doesn’t it!(lol)

I was thinking about how a couple of years ago I would be aghast at what I had just watched. I thought about how much trouble we would be in if anyone knew (mind raced to where would be hide them if any one came over)
    Isn’t it just great, watching the Xmas films (that are usually most uplifting I might add!) without thinking how ‘pagan’ and erroneous they are? I am thoroughly enjoying leaving the ‘bad feeling’ about Xmas. Dwelling on the good things about it, is a real joy! I have bought a Xmas CD which the kids are delighted with….and myself I might add! “Rudolf the red nose rheindeer lalalala………la.”

Happy Xmas Everyone!

Latte

• ISP
    ISP

WTG Mulan!

Hope you got my card BTW!

Best wishes..

ISP

• Mulan
    Mulan

Hi ISP, You bet!! I got it, and it's on my wall in the living room. A great sight for all who enter.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Mulan,

Now you gone and done it!

I hope you realize that with that one purchase, your fate is sealed.

Now you will have to keep a box(albeit small now)with the words 'XMAS Decorations' stenciled on the outside. This box will get larger from year to year, then multiply into several. Then you will have to rearrange your garage shelving to accomodate them.

Of course then you will have to gather an assortment of extension cords, all of which will be christimas green, making them totally unsuitable for general everyday use. Along with the cords, replacement bulbs of every color. Don't forget the pesky little fuses.

Then when you are fully engulfed, you must graduate from a step ladder, to an extension. Attaching those 300' of string lights all over your eaves makes reaching the highest point on your house suddenly very important.

Then comes the fun part, taking it all down!

Well guess what, you have now joined the rest of us crazy XMas lover's, ain't it just grand! Enjoy. I certainly love the crazy affair.

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit