Witnesses who were Shunned by Worldly family for BEING Witnesses! ME!

by Witness 007 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yes when you become a Witness, your family tree looks like it was hit by Hurricane Katrina! {Just like when you leave...ironic} My Father said if I become a Witness He will never see me again...and he didn't....but like most idiot Witnesses this is held up like a Badge of honour!...I was on the platform at Ass-emblies like many others who lost....parents, boyfirends, husbands, children, whole families. We thought we were blessed by Jah to have lots of "brothers and Sisters...but our real family knew we were part of an "Apocalipse Cult." they were looking out for us.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Do you have a relationship with non-witness family now?

• looloo
    looloo

it really annoys me now that when i first got involved they said that family members will turn against you and my brother or sister or parents have not spoke to me for years since i became a jw bla bla bla now im out i know why their brother or sister or parents stopped talking to them (they were prob so pissed of with them for not bothering with them anymore ! not the other way round . it is our jw family that do not bother with us despite numerous invites , and even when i took my child round to grandparents house after 6 months of not seeing her my childs "christian" auntie and uncle went on the ministery 10 mins before we arrived ! how rude is that , im in such a bad mood today !

• vanissa
    vanissa

I'm new to this forum, but not to the Jehovah Witness religion/cult that destroyed my family like so many other families.

My mother (now deceased) joined JW 54 years ago. Soon after joining she divorced my father who refused to become a JW. She had four children when she separated from my father ranging from age seven years old (myself) to age two (my youngest brother).

She remarried as soon as her divorce became final. Her new husband was also new to JW, and she remarried so quickly so as to not commit "sexual sin".

How ironic, after all these years and her passing, I recently read the following Bible verses that made me realize that she was commiting adultery while practicing the JW faith - including separating herself from her nonJW children to remain "pure":

MAR 10:11-12 He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery." -- AND --

ROM 7:3 So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress, even though she marries another man.

There are several other verses restating the same thing.

What I found about the JW religion (like some other religions), scriptures are used and interpreted to suit what they preach. One scripture that the JWs seem to emphasize is:

MAT 10:34-36 "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn "'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law-- 36 a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'

I know my mother seemed to take pride in her standing firm about her separating herself from me her oldest daughter whom she had expelled from JW for fornication. She would not talk, associate with, or respond to my letters for eight years until the JW faith revised their ruling about expelled members. Then she paid me a visit to invite me to rejoin. I refused. And so, as a result we lost the opportunity to have a mother/daughter relationship for all those years. It wasn't until she knew she was very ill did she start communicating with me again. Shortly thereafter she passed away.

To sum it up, she lived in sin none the less, and caused herself and her family a lot of suffering practicing her faith married to her second husband who was a child-abusing JW minister (but that's another long story I won't go into here).

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

This is a interesting thread as I am someone who was raised in the Org.

And also Welcome Vanissa it looks like this was your first post

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome, vanissa.

There is much pain to work through. Stay with us, and it will help. You now have a place to go where people understand what you are talking about.

I hope that you can gain some peace.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

In my case it was more of a mutual shunning. The only time my sisters invited me over was for Christmas, Easter, New Years, etc. I just assumed they were deliberately trying to "stumble" me, so I stopped going to their family get togethers. Once I stopped going, they naturally stopped inviting me. I never stopped to think that, because we're a large family, that maybe they didn't have time to prepare for family gatherings except during these holidays. It takes time to cook up a feast for 25-30 people.

They're all glad I'm out of the cult now, and I've attended many of these functions in the last few years. I don't go often any more though, because there's just too much great food and my willpower is lacking. One meal with my family sends my blood glucose straight to hell.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit