YOU tell ME

by stillin 5 Replies latest jw friends

• stillin
    stillin

OK, my good, good wife is out of town, I bought some decent brandy, a decent cigar, and put on some Donna Summer, slipped out onto the deck, lit up, and discovered what all the noise was about all of that. Nice. I haven't smoked since I quit, learning the truth, 35 years ago. I looked up at the sky, lightning bugs active, mosquitos leaving me alone, and thought about Jehovah and the Kingdom that He's promised. Nice.

I've posed this situation, hypothetically, to a few of my closest friends in the truth in the not-so-distant past. Is it "sin?" I've worked hard. I've done what I could, under my own circumstances, and raised my kids, provided for my family, tried to be an upbuilding influence in the congregation... is it sin deserving of disfellowshipping...because I don't FEEL guilty?! My friends, of course, are non-commital, but they can see my point. I guess I've always been a troublemaker.

I wouldn't recommend it to anybody, and I don't expect that it will become a "practice" of sin, unless once or twice a year constitutes "practice." And I don't expect that this will result in lung cancer or cirrhosis or even hypocrisy.

And I'm here. With you other troublemakers. How dare you actually think about the ins and outs of the thorny details that the WTB and TS has levied upon its' adherents?

So, the thing is, I'm a brother "in good standing." I can see myself, soon, talking with somebody about the better world that Jehovah has promised. So, what? I'm a sick puppy? Really, there are lots of really good people who go gaga over every little thing that some "governing body" decrees, but the really big stuff is internal, isn't it? And who you are and whether you mean well.

What am I doing, preaching to the choir?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi stillin,

Really, there are lots of really good people who go gaga over every little thing that some "governing body" decrees, but the really big stuff is internal, isn't it?

I agree

Luke 17:20-21 (New International Version)
    20 Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, "The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, 21 nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you."

All the best,

Stephen

• shamus100
    shamus100

Tsk tsk... I'm telling.

• stillin
    stillin

Tsk tsk... I'm telling

Yeah, just as I thought, you're all spies working for the society!

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

It's telling that a person can be disfellowshiped for smoking one (cigar cigarette, or other LOL) which is not mentioned in the bible but can secretly get drunk for years (I know my dad was great at it as were many of my freinds at bethel) without much of any consequences or be a staight up glutton both of which are mentioned in the bible and remain in good standing.

• shamus100
    shamus100

That's right, and my everlasting life is paradise earth depends on it... It's for your own good!

Have a good cigar -

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit