Has anyone ever watched the show 'Intervention'?

by awildflower 2 Replies latest jw friends

• awildflower
    awildflower

I like that show. It's a show that takes various cases people have usually involving addictions to drugs or alcohol. They follow them around for a while documenting their lives under addiction, talking to friends and family members. The person doesn't know that he's actually on a show about interventions so in the end, all of their friends and family that love them, get with a councelor and write a letter to be read to the person about all the ways their addiction makes them personally feel. In the letter they are also suppose to write that if the person refuses the help offered that there will be consequences, usually a cutting off of all family and friends ties. The person is let in a room and the letters are read pretty matter-of-factly, then the person makes his dicission, some choose the treatment, others don't.

Question? How is this different from what the WT society does with their df'ing policy? They to set up a meeting with an individual, usually read some things, offer an alternative or a consequence, cutting off of friends and family. We all agree we hate that arrangement. But in the Intervention show, I find myself saying that this is the best thing for the person to get help with his addiction. See what I'm saying? I am not for the df thing, but when is it ok to 'cut people out' for their own good and when is it not? Would unconditional love work every time, or do drastic measures have to take place some times. I guess one of the differences here would be the crime!

Welcome the thoughts.............wf

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm a recovering alcoholic, and I am not a big fan of interventions. It has been my experience watching people come and go at AA meetings that interventions don't work on people that don't want to change their lives - not unlike people who's reaction to being DF'd is "fine I'm not a JW any more."

I'm not sure your analogy holds up. A good counselor regards an intervention as a last resort. It is intended to get a person to see self destructive behavior for what it is, and the end result is (hopefully) professional assistance in making a major life change.

Just thought of this, a real intervention is handled by a college educated psychologist who specializes in addiction issues. A judcial committee typically consists of a bunch of window washers and janitors. I'm not knocking window washers and janitors, but I don't want them treating my medical conditions.

• awildflower
    awildflower

You make a great point. One of my biggest complaints about this org is that they make millions and millions of dollars and although they know the law inside and out and spend money knowing it, they wont spend any money to take these so called 'shepards' and get them some education in basic psycology or child development or something that might actually help someone. Oh, but higher education is a no no....Your right, it's probably not a very equal analogy but I guess I was wondering if there was ever a time to just 'cut someone out' for their own good. I don't know........wf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit