Why I left them

by jed459 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• jed459
    jed459

Yes, I was a JW. I was brought up with the C of E, not that this means much of itself. I was a misfit at school and felt I did not belong and wondered about the meaning of life. When I was in my teens I went through something spiritual which words cannot explain but I will try. The world is so ugly and hateful, yet some things in nature are so beautiful.. God was talking to me through nature that things were not meant to be as they are. I would go for walks in the countryside to think about things and the contrast between what mankind was doing and what I saw in my walks was so overwhelming that at times I was in tears.

So when the Witnesses came round (I was in my twenties by then), I invited them in and was very keen to learn. After a several years of study I was 100% convinced this was the truth and could 'prove' everything from the bible. I was convinced I had found the paradise I was looking for.. but it turned out that what I had with JWs was not the real truth.. not the meaning of it. I had mistaken ‘knowledge’ for the love of God.

Sadly, I did not find the love that Jesus said would be the mark of a true Christian among any of JWs when put to the test. There was plenty of talk of "Jehovah's righteous requirements" but little of what this means to a Christian (who is not under law).. to have the love (and mind) of Christ… which I now realized is something we cannot have by our own efforts… but is a gift we can never deserve or earn.

There was much emphasis placed on outward appearance both in the way we dress and in the way they think we are seen by the world. We had to put on our best suits and show ourselves to be an exemplary example morally to the world as “Jehovah’s clean people”, but many did not live up to that morality but instead were cold or even cruel and hurtful toward others… yet this was not reproved at all, especially if they held a position in the congregation. If you said anything, you had “a complaining spirit” and were questioning Jehovah’s arrangement or organization.

I saw people get hurt (including myself) and a girl I knew who was brought up a JW, committed suicide by jumping off some high rise flats. She was ‘just’ a friend but it really shook and upset me to think that “one of Jehovah’s happy people” could do this. Then around that time, when I was out “on the doors”, someone I met was very upset and told me how JWs had ruined their daughter’s life. I remember going white and feeling the cold as I thought the unthinkable... that they had literally ruined my friend’s life and I thought of how her mum and dad must have felt about this too. I didn’t want to admit that something was very wrong but my idealism was taking yet another blow.. “God does not do this to these sorts of people” I thought to myself.

Then there was the dishonesty of the Society.. like in the Paradise book I think it was, there were hidden (demonic) drawings within the pictures and this was pointed out at an assembly (convention) and it was said that some people in the art department had been disciplined for it. Yet a few years later the whole thing was denied it ever existed.. it was a false rumour they said. No doubt they quickly reprinted it but in my copy of the book, the hidden drawings were definitely there. It was not the drawings that upset me but that they denied it.

I wasn’t looking for a perfect ‘church’ but found that some people of the world had love which was more Christ-like than that of Jehovah's Witnesses, yet we were taught that the world is so wicked (which it is) and that JWs, because they have their doctrines so right (which the don’t), are in good standing with God… so its implied or even said that JWs are more righteous than people of the world. Do our doctrines themselves make us righteous? No but the JW implies this is so (yet he gets his doctrines second-hand). People in the world are looked on as “bad association” or at best not good association and this caused a barrier with my own family who are not JWs… my family still look on me as different after all these years and we have little contact.

There are many things that I now disagree with in the JWs teachings, but just one of the things that caused me to not take everything the Watchtower teach as being the same as the word of God is when they were saying that Christ will return invisibly at Harmageddon (there’s something behind that!). Nor do I believe that the 144,000 is a literal number, the remnant of which are conveniently said to be in the Watchtower Society, when all the other numbers in Revelation are symbolic… as their own "Aid to Bible Understanding" book showed.

JWs said I would die spiritually if I leave but I found that we do not need a "faithful and discreet slave class" conveniently placed in the WT Society for "spiritual food at the proper time" and although they started me reading the bible I have seen so much more since I left them. I firmly believe that God Himself has led me to the truth not governed by head knowledge and also some ‘truths’ as they would say. But I left mainly because of attitudes toward other people and the way their 'knowledge' is applied rather than any doctrinal teachings. They have a proud "us against them" attitude and the JW's faith is based on performance, not love. They may deny that they are trying to earn salvation but their attitude and practices show otherwise… "by their fruits you will know them."

I was offered paradise like a carrot dangling on a string and didn’t realize that no matter how hard we try, we cannot reach it… but instead of this, it is offered to us by someone who cares and is not playing those cruel games of the demons. The disappointment of not reaching that carrot broke my heart and for a moment I thought I had lost my hope of a future life. So for a while I didn’t want to know anything more about God and the bible but it was buried in the back of my mind.

Several years went by and I became stronger and eventually I returned to the search for “the truth” so I started looking at other religions. I have visited several churches over the years then started attending a Baptist church and enjoyed fellowship with them very much and got baptized (again) at a Pentecostal church. As I was going into the water the Pastor said, “Will you do what Jesus tells you?” and I said “yes”, not realizing that God would lead me away from all religious organizations… Rev 18:4

John

• ElijahTheThird
    ElijahTheThird

Hey, what can be said, been down this road myself, or at least most of it. The truth is revealed when you need it most. Your trust (faith) has brought you this far. Remember the Jews had a government from YHWH, NOT a religion. They turned it into a religion and Jesus condemned them for this! You may want to look at it from a more 21st century view also. Besides, it was only a test of your integrity and trust. Your willingness to abandon all else to really go out and find what truth you could. I do see much understanding in these threads. Great wisdom has been given to those that prove worthy and responsible.

MT. 17:11

• jed459
    jed459
    Hey, what can be said, been down this road myself, or at least most of it. The truth is revealed when you need it most.

Yes but it took time.. in fact it took years as I was put through the fire. There was a terrible misunderstanding and I was naive and partly to blame, but no-one was man enough to really re-prove me about my mistake.. only judgement without any valid scriptural backup. This showed me that JWs are not as theocratic as they claim, which made it much worse to come to terms with. Yet looking back, it was a good thing because it showed me that I did not belong with them and was a painful truth at the right time.

Your trust (faith) has brought you this far. Remember the Jews had a government from YHWH, NOT a religion. They turned it into a religion and Jesus condemned them for this!

Yes and the same happened to Christianity.. which was at first was "a new and living way" not at a physical temple like religion is.

Heb 10:20 · Acts 7:48-53 · John 4:21

But instead of worship in spirit and in truth, the kingdom became corrupted by leaven and got the demonic "birds of the air" in its branches, as Jesus said it would. Luke 13:18-21

You may want to look at it from a more 21st century view also.
    Not very good at history and dates EliJah. What happened in the 21st century?
    Besides, it was only a test of your integrity and trust. Your willingness to abandon all else to really go out and find what truth you could. I do see much understanding in these threads. Great wisdom has been given to those that prove worthy and responsible

There are many details I missed out that even now (after over 20 years), are too painful to recall... so "only" is not a word I would use for it. Still, if God did not care I would not have been tested so. I remember saying to an elder "we are all being tested over this" and by the look on his face … he knew. … I do hope that brother came though. If you are reading this, do you remember me Jeff?

Wisdom is not the same as knowledge and as you know, its about applying knowledge in the right way. So I don't know about "great wisdom" and only wish I had more of it.. especially before this began, then I would not have been deceived so easily.

Thanks for your encouraging words Elijah, I am glad to meet you. :)

John.

(re-edit for spelling mistakes)

• ElijahTheThird
    ElijahTheThird

quote ^What happened in the 21st century?^
    Wasn't it ^look at it from a more 21st century view^
    The world of computers, living in space(the heavens), able to call fire down from the heavens (space), Miracles we now know as high tech stuff. Are we really "alone". Arn't angels from the "heavens"?

It was given to those that would test us as to being fit to judge them to miss lead the entire earth, AND if possible, EVEN THE SAINTS!

Deception breeds comfusion, Confusion breeds insanity. Take a pill! Pharmakia, the greek word used for "sorcery"!

That "faithful and discreet slave" which WAS the collective of the Anointed had better wake UP and realise that they were a bit TOO DISCRETE! Their power and authority is gone in influencing the borg now, and has been for decades. Cast out, trodden down, some still survived! It is because of the "cyber world" that those with this unique calling can now REALLY come together and discuss that which is inside them. Perfection is a dirrection,, are you going to keep going? *grins*

• sweetone2377
    sweetone2377

John,

Welcome to JWD. I am sure you will find comfort here, as well as a few belly laughs

Shelly
    Former victim and recovering wonderfully from a broken spirit
    Smile, because we all have been freed from slavery!!

• jed459
    jed459

Hi Eli-Jah,

hmmm, I guess that means God-Jah,

"Perfection is a dirrection,, are you going to keep going? *grins*"???

You stoned? lol jk ( with more , begging your forgiveness and down at your feet for asking that).

Anyway, the 21st century.. I am dislexic!! I Though it said 12th cnetrury.. er I mean.. century.. lol. Even after I pasted it in it still looked like a 12 and not 21. I must have been tired when I did that.

• jed459
    jed459

Thanks for the welcome shelly..

"Smile, because we all have been freed from slavery!!" Well, I am trying...

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Hi John,

Welcome to the board! There is so much to learn about the WTS and Life itself from this board. Many different experiences say the same thing...the Watchtower is false. I'm glad you escaped! Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Andi

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

(((( jed459 ))))

...and welcome to the board. It's a roller coaster in here, but there are many kind and caring people.

Hope to see more of your posts.

BITE ME, WATCHTOWER!!!

• Da_luvvin _bruvva
    Da_luvvin _bruvva

John

Your story's details could easily fit what happened to me. It took me about 2 years of researching into the Luvvin Bruvvahood to realise that it was not the 'troof'.

Both my wife and I were kicked out in July this year because we got spotted going into a Christian Baptist Church when we were doing an Alpha course.

What a story I could tell you. What a story.

Since leaving, we've found more love in just one Church than we ever found in the whole world wide bruvvahood of Jaydubbleyou's.

JW love is conditional. Conditional on performance as you quite rightly said yourself. But we were never good enough. Never. No one is.

My wife spent 34 years in the 'trooooof'. I did 10 years and could've quite easily have stayed if my personal integrity wasn't suffering. As an 'appointed man', I saw, heard, felt and experienced so many acts of unlove that I started telling my wife that I just didn't want to go to the meetings anymore. This was obviously being interpreted by my wife that I was spiritually 'low'.

My response was, how could I be spiritually low if I was still doing talks from the platform that people would come up to me afterwards and tell me that I'd really encouraged them. The fact was however, that I'd also get approached by the P.O enquiring why I'd swayed from the Society's talk outline. I'd reply that I didn't feel that I had. But really, I knew that I had. I stuck to the Bible and Jesus' words, and not the Society's.

My talks had the congregation constantly flicking pages through the Bible because I felt that this was where the truth was.

I now know that the only truth is Jesus. He's the only way and the only life, and not an organisation.

So I'm out, and I thank God for answering my prayers. My wife has also come to Christ, and I thank God for that also.

I have this image in my mind...............

I'm looking at my old congregation building, and I see the words.....

'Kingdumb Hell of Jehovah's Wickednesses'

Like I said John, what I saw this year put the lid on them, once and for all despite the shunning that both my wife and I got even before we 'disassociated ourselves by our actions' as they put it!

God bless you for your desire to be with Jesus.

DLB

*PS-feel free to contact me if you wanna correspond and compare notes! I'm in the UK also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit