"Why God Won't Go Away"

by mindmelda 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I've been reading a fascinating book, "Why God Won't Go Away" by Andrew Newberg M.D. and Eugene D'Aquili, M.D. Ph.D. Newberg is both a physician and an instructor of religious studies, Dr. Aquili (now deceased, he died before this book of his research was published) was a distinguished psychiatrist.

The book is about the biological and neurological basis for belief in God. They studied the brains of people with various imaging systems while they were undergoing transcendent state induced by prayer, ritual, chanting, meditation and found profound brain changes that explain the state that most find difficult to describe in literal terms.

Basically, the part of the brain that defines self and how the self is oriented physically in the world around us undergoes an interesting and distinct change during these activities. It's functioning slows considerably and a person literally is in a state where they lose their sense of connectedness with the world around them and experiences that "connected to the universe/God/the infinite" however they term it. That is just one of many brain changes that occur during transcendent, mystical or religious experiences, regardless of type of practice. The brain of a Franciscan nun praying reacts exactly like a Buddhist practicing transcendental meditation. The brain of a person hearing an uplifting Christian sermon or music reacts exactly like that of a Pagan during a blessing ritual.

Of course, that does nothing to prove God (or gods) exists, literally, but it goes a long ways towards explaining WHY people believe in the mystical, the supernatural and the divine.

My favorite exerpt from the book:

" The best that science can do is give us a metaphorical picture of what's real, and while that picture may make sense, it isn't necessarily true. In this case, science is a type of mythology, a collection of explanatory stories that resolve the mysteries of existence and help us cope with the challenges of life. This would be applicable even if material reality is, in fact, the highest level of reality, because despite science's preoccupation with objectively verfied truth, the human mind is incapable of purely objective observations. All our perceptions are subjective by their nature, and just as there's no way to peek inside Einstein's Watch (he alludes to the metaphor used by Einstein that when explaining reality, we are like a man peeking inside a permanently closed watch, we deduce what is going on inside by the clues, but can never peek inside) there's no way we can slip free of the brain's subjectivity to see what's really there. All knowledge, then, is metaphorical, even our most basic sensory perceptions of the world around us can be thought of as an explanatory story created by the brain.

Science, therefore is mythological, and like all mythological systems of belief, it is based on a foundational assumption: All that is real can be verified by scientific measurements, therefore, what can't be verified by science isn't really real.

This kind of assumption, that one system is the exclusive arbiter of what is TRUE, makes science and religion incompatible. If Absolute Unitary Being does indeed exist then science and religion find themselves in a paradoxical situation: The more literally we take their own foundational assumptions, the deeper they are in conflict with each other, and the further they fall from ultimate reality. But, if we understand the metaphorical nature of their insights, their incompatibilities are reconciled, and each becomes more powerfully and transcendentally real."

In other words, just because something is a metaphor, or non literal does not make it untrue or unreal. Because of the natural construction of our human brains, metaphor is the highest and most real, even the most "true" form of thinking, regardless of what it is applied to.

Realizing that gives power to both the spiritual metahpor and the scientific one.

• wavvy
    wavvy

Yes, I've heard of that book! Sounds very interesting.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Well, since that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag will not go the f*** away and stay away, I expect Him to sabotage everything I do to better myself in the long term. I also expect the Second Dark Ages, this time forever.

And you thought Bush or Osama Obama were bad?

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

sounds like a good book. I was reading something similar. Thanks for sharing

• Satanus
    Satanus

The excerpt gets into the thought of being able to experience things directly. Things like water or food can be experienced directly, thus bypassing the mental consrtruct. In the mystical practice, direct experience is also what we like to think is happening. This bypasses the mind, and faith is not a part of the picture.

S

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Melda that book is on my "to do" list! Two friends have recommended it and it sounds wonderful. Thanks for your input.

Satanus said: In the mystical practice, direct experience is also what we like to think is happening. This bypasses the mind, and faith is not a part of the picture.

Nicely said! Satanus I always appreciate your take!

Love,
    Baba.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

The other interesting revelation in the book is that these transcendent religious experiences are closely linked to the same brain systems that regulate sexual response.

The state is literally akin to orgasm, but more purely mental in nature.

I started wondering if that's one reason that there are two kinds of religion...one that extols the sexual as part of spirituality and the other that sets it apart?

Both are trying to achieve the transcendent state of mysticism but from different directions. Any ritualistic behavior can potentially evoke the mystical response, be it pain or hunger, or simply sitting in one place contemplating a single thought or object, or intense sessions of prayer. But, tantric sex demonstrates, sex can also become a mystical or transcendent experience practiced in certain ways.

Denying the sexual urge produces a similar neurological response, eventually, a kind of neuro overload. It's interesting that the mystical experiences of saints are called passions, where the person claims to experience oneness with Christ.

It also explains the whole Biblical metaphor of Christ and his followers as bride and groom. The transcendence of orgasm signifying joining or the ultimate intimacy is perhaps the most apt metaphor for the oneness some experience in Christ. They may come from a very similar neurological experience, really.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Both are trying to achieve the transcendent state of mysticism but from different directions. Any ritualistic behavior can potentially evoke the mystical response, be it pain or hunger, or simply sitting in one place contemplating a single thought or object, or intense sessions of prayer. But, tantric sex demonstrates, sex can also become a mystical or transcendent experience practiced in certain ways.

Yes sex can become a mystical experience, as in a God O My God orgasm. These make one feel close to God.

http://www.primal-page.com/wade2.htm

Book review:

Transcendent Sex: When Lovemaking Opens the Veil, by Jenny Wade, Ph.D.,

Chapter IX, is entitled Divine Union: One With God. Here Dr, Wade explores unio mystica, which for centuries was the ultimate goal of countless mystics. In the past, the proclamation of this joyful union with the godhead has had untoward consequences. During the middle ages proclaiming their insights of this experience cost some mystics their lives.

Utube video with the author of: "Why God Won't Go Away", Andrew Newberg,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PVlyXS0MhQ

• cofty
    cofty

The best that science can do is give us a metaphorical picture of what's real, and while that picture may make sense, it isn't necessarily true. In this case, science is a type of mythology, a collection of explanatory stories that resolve the mysteries of existence and help us cope with the challenges of life

So if you have a life-threatenting infection, will science's ability to identify the pathogen and prescribe an anitbiotic that kills it ans saves your life be a metaphor or reality?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit