What is True Love?

by MrMoe 9 Replies latest jw friends

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Ask yourself one thing, seriously. Would the person you are with die for you? Would you die for them? That is where the true answer lies.

I would die for my friends and family, don't get me wrong -- but I would hesitate -- I would have some second thoughts.

But my daughter I would die for without an ounce of hesitation, before you can blink your eyes and faster than the speed of light. That's what love truly is. I used to feel that way about my ex. And someday, when I fall in love again and when I find that sparkle in another's eyes, I would die for them willingly. And that's a fact.

• Missie Eff
    Missie Eff

One of my favourite albums at the moment is Parachutes by a band called Coldplay. There is a line in one of the songs that says simply "for you I'd bleed myself dry". When I first heard this song, I was with this guy and I questioned whether or not I would in fact bleed myself dry from him. The answer was no - we finished shortly afterwards!

Like you, my son is the only person I would instantly give my life up for without even a thought. Life without him would not be worth living. That's true love.

I have felt this for a man before...but he left (boo-hoo!).

• Kismet
    Kismet

Until recently I never understood that expression. When I was a faithful Borg I was firm that I would die for my congregation and my God.

I believe I have now found that kind of love you are referring to.

Remember that old Billy Ocean song:

"I used to think that love was just a fairy tail
    until that first hello, until that first smile
    Suddenly, life has new meaning to me
    there's beauty up above, and things we never take notice of
    You wake up, suddenly your in love

Girl your everything a man could want and more
    one thousand words are not enough to say what i feel inside
    holding hands as we walk along the shore
    never felt like this before, now your all that im livin for"

I never understood and used to make fun of such lyrics. Now I can even understand the words to Bryan Adams song from Robin Hood ... of note this song was banned at most Bethelite weddings due to the line "I'd die for you." The (warped) thinking was that such devotion was wrong to place upon another human. But then again I couldn't play "Old Time RocknRoll either... smirk.

Everything I do - Bryan Adams

Look into my eyes you will see
    What you mean to me
    Search your heart search your soul
    And when you find me there you'll search no more

Don't tell me it's not worth tryin' for
    You can't tell me it's not worth dyin' for
    You know it's true
    Everything I do, I do it for you

Look into my heart you will find
    There's nothin' there to hide
    Take me as I am, take my life
    I would give it all, I would sacrifice

Don't tell me it's not worth fightin' for
    I can't help it there's nothin' I want more
    You know it's true
    Everything I do, I do it for you

Oh yeah

There's no love like your love
    And no other could give more love
    There's nowhere unless you're there
    All the time all the way

Listen to your heart babe

Oh, you can't tell me it's not worth tryin' for
    I can't help it there's nothin' I want more
    Yeah I would fight for you, I'd lie for you
    Walk the wire for you - Yeah I'd die for you

Kismet - who has found that Christmas is even better when you have true love to share it with. (tempted to quote from Princess Bride!! )

• Faraon
    Faraon

I do not believe that to die for someone is a sign of love.
    I prefer to kill for my daughters than to die for them.

JRP
    Distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful.
    Nietzsche

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Well, I think many of us would die for strangers, look how many firemen died on September 11th!

I think love is a "keep going" sort of thing, when our kids or our mates trouble us, make us so exasperated! we just keep trying, we just keep going, we just keep loving them!

This day in and day out sometimes grind, and sometimes joy, makes and proves our love for them and their love for us!

IW

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Ya I know what you mean there MrMoe. I know there are some I would die for my family and niece. But I don't really want a guy to die for me, I want him to live for me

Annie Lenox "dying is easy it's living that scares me to death"

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• Seven
    Seven

I'd rather not mention the love I share with my man and "dying" in the same breath. We are so much a part of each other-no beginning or end. If the occasion would ever arise I'd imagine it to be somewhat like the Rose on the headboard and Jack in the water scene from The Titanic. I would gladly trade places with him without hesitation. My love for him is alive as long as my heart is beating and who knows maybe beyond that.

Btw, nice post Kismet.

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

In my opinion true love is when you can talk to someone that you are attracted to and after the conversation you think that 30 minutes have passed, but then you look at your watch and realize that 3 hours have passed.

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

Hi Moe

I like Lauryn Hill's song which includes the lyrics:

Cry for me, cry for me,
    You say you'll die for me,

Give for me, give for me,
    Why wont you LIVE FOR ME?

LIVING FOR the one you love, that is, embracing all that life has to offer and sharing it with them is what TRUE LOVE is all about IMHO.

Boozy

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I had a moment of clarity a few years ago about this 'die for love' thing. I agree with Faraon.

Sod dying for love. If I had to, yeah, I'd cheerfully die for a few people. Die as in give my life so they might live, not die as in exsanguate myself to prove how much I loved them; that's sick love, love of other with no love of self is horrid, I've been there too many times...

But I don't consider dying for love a smart choice.

FAR better is killing for love. Wading in the blood of those who would harm you or yours up to the knees. I have zero moral problems with that, and it's a FAR more attractive option than dying.

Oh, that Billy Ocean song... 'Suddenly'. The writing credit on this is Bily Ocean alone I think, but in actual fact, it was written by Keith Diamond, the producer of that album. The reason I know this is that he wrote it about my x-wife (way before I knew her).

Well, that's what he said... but it's a funny story...

As for that song, the 'Everything I do...', oh, boy... sacahrine, cloying, annoying; ugh... sorry... Bryan Adams used not to trigger this reflex, but he got repackaged and reproduced... I blame Mutt Lange...

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit