Jesus - My Exemplar?

by AK - Jeff 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I do not put much credence these days to the idea of a 'Savior' for man, in the sense believed by Christianity. It is not of that which I speak.

I refer to the person, either literal or literary, who is credited with leaving bad religion behind, taking an unpopular stance against it's leadership, and willingly suffering the consequences that follow such course of action. It matters not if this person can be supported as historically accurate. Many legendary figures have arisen in literature that have inspired courage and action on the part of others who have been influenced.

It is also of minimal importance, or none at all, that the heroic figure of Christianity means little to the sort of faith I do or do not possess. One does not have to be a believer in Greek Mythology as religiously correct to find inspiration in some of it's characters. Same is true of the chief figure of Christianity.

So, this Jesus, is an example to me. I do not worship him. I actually doubt the historicity of the record found in the Bible about his life, though not so much his existence as a rogue against both his national religion and the oppressive state that held them captive.

As part of a long line of exemplars, I find much of what he is said to have stood for inspirational. Whether he really stood for it is immaterial.

And so it goes.

Jeff

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Jeff:

Independent of the conclusion that you have drawn, I, likewise, am influenced for the good by Jesus' example. My personal decision to reevaluate the historicity of the Jesus accounts does not preclude my concurrently deriving benefit from the "story" of his life. I believe I am getting your meaning.

Similarly, I have been motivated by fictional characters in literature - and I do not necessarily mean those from classical literature cast in the heroic mold - to take up a cause or adopt an attitude that the story's writer attributes to said make-believe character. Penelope Keeling, the protagonist in The Shell Seekers, by Rosamunde Pilcher, is my role model. I have actively followed her example in benefiting my community.

Thanks for a thought-provoking thread.

CoCo

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hi AK - Jeff. I understand what you are saying.

Too many people try prove or disprove whether this man Jesus did or did not exist, along with all the other bible characters. It doesn't matter whether he did or didn't, what matters is the lessons we can draw from these, whether we can use this information for our life today.

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

As a woman I truly appreciate Jesus teachings for women and his acceptance of women as disciples and fellow workers with the male disciples.

You could take his conversation with the Samaritan woman at the well and put a 21st century date on it, it fits our times so much better than his. And getting Martha out of the kitchen and into the conversation is, well, fantastic!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Excellent post.

I very much agree that the Gospels, in different ways, have succeeded in constructing a "Jesus" figure which has been both inspiring and challenging to Christian and post-Christian civilisation... with a remarkable potential to question its own institutions and powers.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

A key difference between Christianity and Greek mythology, literature and some other forms of religion is that Christianity is a historical religion. At its core it makes claims about the future of humanity. Those claims for the future are based on the veracity of events in the past, such as God choosing Israel, sending his Son, and Jesus dying for mankind. Take away those events in the past and you take away Christianity's credibility to talk about the future. Religions such as Hinduism which do not base their truth claims in history (past and future) are not susceptible to that sort of debunking. But take away Christianity's basis in history and it loses its message. Accepting that situation you can then, I suppose, choose to graft other sorts of philosophies onto Christian 'mythology' in an effort to preserve something, but the something you end up thereby actually creating rather than genuinely preserving is on a different basis than people who have called themselves Christians down the ages. So why bother? To convince ourselves that 2000 years of contemplation by some of the greatest minds of western civilization has not been a blind alley? To prove we personally were not completely dumb to have believed in the Jesus character at some point? To show that there is still some merit in the stories we once believed even if we no longer take them at face value? I think Stevie Smith captured the futility of this exercise well in her poem Was He Married? At best Christianity was a small move in the right direction. But we have to leave it aside now, not remould it as if, with a little tweaking, it can be made serviceable for the future: it has nothing left to say.

Was He Married?

Was he married, did he try
    To support as he grew less fond of them
    wife and family?

No,
    He never suffered such a blow.

Did he feel pointless, feeble and distrait,
    Unwanted by everyone and in the way?

From his cradle he was purposeful,
    His bent strong and his mind full.

Did he love people very much
    Yet find them die one day?

He did not love in the human way.

Did he ask how long it would go on,
    Wonder if Death could be counted on for an end?

He did not feel like this,
    He had a future of bliss.

Did he ever feel strong
    Pain for being wrong?

He was not wrong he was right,
    He suffered for others', not his own spite.

But there is no suffering like having made a mistake
    Because of being an inferior make.

He was not inferior,
    He was superior.

He knew then that power corrupts but some must govern?

His thoughts were different.

Did he lack friends? Worse,
    Think it was his fault, not theirs?

He did not lack friends,
    He had disciples he moulded to his ends.

Did he feel over-handicapped sometimes, yet must draw even?
    How could he feel like this? He was the king of heaven.

...find a sudden brightness one day in everything
    Because a mood had been conquered, or a sin?

I tell you, he did not sin.

Do only human beings suffer from the irritation
    I have mentioned? learn too that being comical
    Does not ameliorate the desperation?

Only human beings feel like this,
    It is because they are so mixed.

All humans should carry a medal,
    A god cannot carry it, he is not able.

A god is a Man's doll, you ass,
    He makes him up like this on purpose.

He might have made him up worse.

He often has, in the past.

To choose a god of love, as he did and does,
    Is a little move then?

Yes, it is.

A larger one will be when men
    Love love and hate hate but do not deify them?

It will be a larger one.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I think you have to accept that fact that Jesus, reality or myth, has had the most profound influence on human civilization of any single personality.

The idea of Christ as myth doesn't disturb me at all. Myths have amazing power, and will continue to do so. The question is, will that power be used for something beneficial, such as a teaching of peace and brotherhood, forgiveness and hope or just used as a political and social weapon to keep millions enslaved to outdated ideas?

I'm a universalist, and just because the idea of Christ appeals to me personally, is the face of God I can relate to (probably because of the influences of the time I live in, culture and politics and everything else in my life) doesn't mean I expect Christ to be what everyone in the world relates to.

Spirituality is innate (because we all have a spirit or anima, the force that activates us) and I don't believe there is only one good expression of it. It's got to be different for different people or religion makes no sense at all. I can't believe God would only reveal himself to certain people in one particular way, that's obscene!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

MM - good points.

Though I would argue that Jesus' influence has been equaled outside the western world by Mohammed [sp] and Buddha, and others to a lesser degree. I honestly have greater faith in Buddha's life as historical than I do Jesus', though I believe a man lived who bore that name, I doubt he bears any resemblance to either the Jesus of religion or the Jesus 'known' historically today. Still the influence cannot be denied. In fact that is my point.

A contemporary hero, Ghandi, is worthy of great imitation IMO.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit