Purple and Scarlet

by cameo-d 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

What is the significance and symbolism of these colors?

How can we identify who or what this represents?

Rev. 17: 4 The woman wore purple and scarlet clothes and was adorned with gold, gems, and pearls. In her hand she was holding a gold cup filled with detestable things and the impurities of her immorality.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

btt

• read good books
    read good books

The purple represents if I can remember thirty years to my JW days kingship or connection to the politcal rulers or nations of the earth and the scarlet represents harlotry, immorality. Babylon the harlot the woman adorned in purple and scarlet represents the world empire of false religion riding on the back of the wild beast the United Nations (actually I don't disagree with the sympathy behind interpreting this as false religion in bed with corrupt politics), this according to the JW beliefs of the mid seventies, JW beliefs, as we know, are always subject to change. I am starting to forget this stuff, a good sign?

For all I know the JW's of today could be calling the Harlot Woman symbol Walmart and the Wild Beast symbol they could be saying is the World Wrestling Federation since their now saying that ex-Jw's are the anti-Christ then I guess aaanything is possible.

I would be a little curious to know what they interpret those symbols in Relevelation to be today since I have not kept up with their changing views.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Purple is the color of the homosexual tele-bubbie, and is a gay colour preferred by homosexuals and deviants. Scarlet is a gay sounding color too, so if you like them you're probably gay. If you're male, that is.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Shamus, shamus. If you only use those colors in well-hidden frilly undergarments, it can be considered "non-gay" in certain circles.

BTS

• vikesgirl101
    vikesgirl101

I would be a little curious to know what they interpret those symbols in Relevelation to be today since I have not kept up with their changing views.

This is so true. Who can keep up with their whims of deciphering Bible prophecy? Besides when it blows up in their face they can say something about their bright light getting brighter and brighter, leading them to better Bible understanding. I used to think there must be a level of schitzophrenia in their Bible translating. No wonder you could never miss a meeting. You literally can't keep up.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

"In Akkadian the word 'Canaan' can be translated as 'purple'.

According to this translation, the land in its earliest period was known for its most precious and prized item, purple dye and so was called "the land of purple" or Canaan."

http://kremer-pigmente.de/shopint/PublishedFiles/36010e.pdf

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Then, a 1467 papal decree stated that the murex purple, previously used on cardinals’ robes, should be replaced by scarlet, a color intended to bring the cardinals onto a level equal with kings.

The new “cardinal purple” was dyed with a mixture of indigo and kermes, the “beetle dye” from which English takes its word crimson—via the Arabic qirmizi.

By this color shift, said the Pope, the Ottomans would lose valuable revenue and the Church would gain it, the better to wage war against them.

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200604/millennia.of.murex.htm

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Purple has since been equated with royalty, but the red of papal robes and the blue in the flag
    of Israel are also derivative of murex snail dye.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514242/colophon.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit