What goes on at these Conventions??

by lavendar 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I understand what you are saying. I'm sure your family member IS bored. I have no doubt about that although they might not admit it to you.

I recently had a JW uncle email me and he mentioned in his email about how he HAD to go to this 3 day convention that was coming up. He acted like there were a million other things he would rather be doing than driving 3 hours to an assembly hall, staying in a cheap motel, and sitting listening to talks all day. But then at the end he said he really didn't mean that he really enjoyed the assemblies.

I emailed him back and said that I didn't believe that he enjoyed those gatherings. I told him I had sat through those things all throughout my childhood up to age 15 and I could not imagine sitting through one of those things now. I suggested that spending time with his children and grandchildren would be better use of his time now that he is age 75.(He has some children and grandchildren that are not JWs). I also told him that he didn't HAVE to make the choice of going to these gatherings and to please think about what choice he was making.

I haven't heard from him since. I'm sure I'm labeled an apostate now. I've always avoided any talk about the JWs with that part of the family.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It`s just Talk after mono-tone Talk..It becomes very repititious,very quickly..Everything is carefully scripted.............A GB member could show up at a larger assembly..Everyone oooooooohhhhh`s and Awwwwwwwwww`s,but it`s always the Same Old,Same Old...................Thats why people actually do fall asleep and fall out of thier chair..Thats about the only real entertainment at an assembly..Someone fast asleep,landing on cement........................................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here is what this wastefest looks like:

You get there, and pretend to look forward to it (if it's your first or second, you might actually look forward to it, but you will be disappointed). They will be testing the microphones, and there will possibly be plants on display around the stage. About ten minutes before, you will hear Kingdumb s*** played to give you time to find your seats (which are almost always uncomfortable). You will sing a Kingdumb malady, and then prayer time. Then there are a series of talks, each about 15 minutes (this varies). There are experiences, but these are always fake or embellished. There is staged applause after each talk, and at certain points during the talks.

There will be an intermission where you sing a Kingdumb malady and announcements. After this, you sit back down for more of the same. Then another Kingdumb malady, and lunch time (this lasts about an hour and 15 minutes or so).

During lunch, you are responsible for bringing your own food. You are not supposed to go outside during lunch, and they may have gotten much stricter in enforcing it than in the past. There are no concessions, and often the candy machines are blocked off. You are not to bring anything in that has advertisement (so, if you bring in Starbucks coffee, it has to be in a plain cup or with the advertisement blocked off). This ends with more Kingdumb s*** for about 10 minutes, and repeat during the afternoon (with one intermission).

It is pretty much like this throughout. Saturday has the baptism, and the baptismal candidates are seated in a designated area. (Note how many children, especially those that are younger than 10, are present there.) They hold up dismissal until all the candidates have left, which can be quite a while if there are a lot of people getting baptized. And there is one drama, usually Sunday. Then, there is the infamous Never-Ending Prayer on Sunday afternoon, at the end of the event. This is designed to prolong people's staying when they want to get out of there. They also always announce a deficit on Sunday afternoon, because they bleed it off toward the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund.

Yes, the talks are boring. They make threatening prophesies that have been made for more than 130 years now. They promise liberation, but it never comes. Of course, they threaten that anyone that does anything that real people do will die. Not worth going to, and if you have children, it is definitely a strong parental advisory for violence implied as reality, having to sit still for hours at a time, and not having any fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit