World War Z

by Rosey 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Rosey
    Rosey

I know there was a thread started not that long ago about what book you are reading but I really wanted to start a thread about this particular book and it's subject.

I am about 2/3 the way through a book I got for my birthday called World War Z by Max Brooks. Apparently it is going to be film sometime soon.

Anyway the book is about a world crisis....zombies....please don't give up on this thread yet........the book is written as fact like a history book where a man is collating evidence for future generations so as to prevent another such crisis but is told to leave out all the humanity.....this results in the man writing his own book called "World War Z" as he feels that future generations can only really learn from the humanity side of things as they will be able to relate to experiences rather than just facts.

Throughout the book the man interviews survivor after survivor who relates their own experience and how it influenced or was influenced by the crisis. Now the man who actually wrote this book ...Max Brooks also wrote another book called "The Zombie Survival Guide" and apparently it is a book which is encouraged reading for people in positions where they may be faced with any kind of crisis like this......effecting a large number of people, etc.

I'm sorry this is so long-winded.......I am getting to the point......Since leaving the borg I have found that I love Zombie films, end of world films,any kind of film where society has to survive and then start over...........reading these books has really sparked in my mind that it may be because I was a witness that I enjoy these films so much..........after all isn't everything about being a witness geared towards waiting for armageddon when the "wicked" will be destroyed and then starting afresh.

So do you feel that there is a connection?

Do you like this type of film or story?

Do you think some major catastrophe or plague or something is possible or imminent in our future?

Any other comments?

I hope this hasn't come across as negative....I find it fascinating.........

Rose x

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yes...at least we can have Armagedon in the fantasy world!

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Yes, I like these kind of stories. Probably for the same reason as you.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

The only "zombie" films that I really like are 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later.

Dave

• villabolo
    villabolo

"Since leaving the borg I have found that I love Zombie films, end of world films,any kind of film where society has to survive and then start over...........reading these books has really sparked in my mind that it may be because I was a witness that I enjoy these films so much..........after all isn't everything about being a witness geared towards waiting for armageddon when the "wicked" will be destroyed and then starting afresh."

Rosey, I developed a fascination with doomsday movies before, during and after my being in the Witnesses. The first one I saw was Omega Man, starring Charleston Heston. I saw it as an impressionable child. After watching that movie I told myself that I wanted to survive "the end". That plus a later curiosity I developed for the Bible eventually led to my becoming a Witness.

Right now I have a small collection of doomsday books. Among Madmen by Jim Starling and Daina Graziunas is the best "Zombie" book I've ever read.

Another good one- though not a zombie theme-is Greybeard by Brian Aldiss which is a story of what happens when there are no more children being born.

villabolo

• Rosey
    Rosey

PrimateDave.....those are 2 excellent films....very much about survival and how easy it is for society to crumble and panic and things getting out of control.

Villabolo.......maybe it is just something I would have been interested in anyway then.............those two books you mentioned sound really good......the second one sounds a bit like a film that was out in recent years which I can't for the life of me remember the name of....."children of men"?......which I never actually got round to seeing and forgot about...I will need to put it back on my list.

Some of the films I have really enjoyed have been

28 days later, 28 weeks later, rec, quarantine, dawn of the dead, day of the dead, even films like the day after tomorrow, and for comedy value I can't miss out shaun of the dead......Simon Pegg is a genius...

I realize the titles mostly have "dead" in them but that kinda goes with the genre I think. I find that lots of people....mostly women tend to think I am a bit strange in that I find it all so fascinating....I mean I'm a girl and the women I know seem to be quite confused that I am not really interested in all the chickflick/lit bumf........I think they see me as a bit of an oddity.

Rose x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit