Challenge #8 (Mt. Mystery Solved) ~ Narkissos / GS / JBeD / Serious JWs / FC

by 4examp 1 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 4examp
    4examp

Challenge #8 ~ Do you agree that Mt.28:19 clearly presents The Holy Spirit as a Person?

Some humans believe The Holy Spirit is just a force -- energy from God The Father.
    Some humans believe The Holy Spirit is a Person -- a Paraclete-Person -- like Jesus.

It is a gross understatement to say Jesus knows The Holy Spirit better than anyone.

JESUS commanded His followers to make disciples & baptize them in ONE NAME !

Narkissos, in Challenge #2, I wrote:
    "Speaking of name, what is your understanding of the Singular Name in Mt.28:19?"

You replied:
    "As to Matthew 28:19, the (again, unique in the NT) trinitarian formula is best understood
    as a (late) extension of the usual christological baptism formula: eis (to) onoma kuriou/Ièsou/Khristou...
    More than the (singular) use of onoma which simply belongs to the fixed locution
    I would say the very parallelism of Father / Son / Holy Spirit
    tends to "personalise" or "personify" the latter to an extent (so far I would agree
    )."

So it's agreed that Jesus made a clear, powerful, statement in Mt.28:19 that cannot be manipulated or rationally explained away.

- It's not my fault or concern that this pithy statement is unique --but it cannot be ignored because it is unique !!!

- It's not my fault or concern if tons of great minds see this verse as a clear statement of "Trinity".

- It's not my fault or concern that the sun-entity emits light, heat, energy. :-)

- The statement is a command that stands as a foundational sign-post.

- These 11, simple words ("to onoma tou patros kai tou uiou kai tou agiou pneumatos")
    (cause tension &) bother & baffle those who deny the Personhood of The Holy Spirit.

- It is a fact that there are 3 parts to the singular name.

- It is a fact that the parallism clearly presents the inherent "authority" of 3 Persons.

- The name of the Father is not His personal name but is His title of relationship to us & His Son.

- The name of The Son is not His personal name but is His title of relationship to The Father,
    & one of many titles of our (1Jn.2:1) Paraclete-Advocate-Lawyer (see Isa.9:6; Mt.1:23; Rev.17:14).

- The name of the Holy Spirit is not His personal name but just one of many titles
    of our (Jn.14:16,26; 15:26; 16:27) "other" Paraclete-Advocate-Lawyer.

• 4examp
    4examp

Having said all this (& I really shouldn't give the opposition ammunition), there is a mystery-solving possibility.
    It's the "surface tension of water".

Baptising in the Name of The Father & of The Son isn't strong enough -- because they are in heaven.
    Baptising in the Name of The Holy Spirit isn't strong enough either -- because it's only a "name".
    But if The Holy Spirit is a power-packing-energy-source... -- voila -- the surface-tension of water is overcome & defeated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit