Kingdom Halls

by Megachusen 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Megachusen
    Megachusen

Growing up in the religion I always wondered why kingdom halls are designed the way they are. For instance:

*Why don't they have windows?

*Why do the doors look like they've been designed to lock someone in(or out)?

*Why are the chairs always incredebly uncomfortable?

*Why does it look like more effort went into designing the lobby than the audotorium?

*Why don't they ever soundproof the walls leading to the outside when most KHs are near resedential homes?

*Why is there never any artwork in the KH?

*Why do the three colours of paint they choose never match eachother?

• blondie
    blondie

Growing up in the religion I always wondered why kingdom halls are designed the way they are. For instance:

*Why don't they have windows? SOME DO AND SOME DON'T, with the advent of HVAC it is easier and cheaper to limit windows (insurance and cheaper to build)

*Why do the doors look like they've been designed to lock someone in(or out)? Actually, around here the doors have safety levers that allow quick exit

*Why are the chairs always incredebly uncomfortable? I have been in some halls with comfortable chairs--I think it depends on who orders them for cost or comfort factors.

*Why does it look like more effort went into designing the lobby than the audotorium? Because fewer people get past the lobby

*Why don't they ever soundproof the walls leading to the outside when most KHs are near resedential homes? In the newer halls I helped build they did do that, more to protect those INSIDE the hall from excess noise

*Why is there never any artwork in the KH? As seen on another thread, some do. The RBC around here always builds some money into the budget for art which is selected by the interior designer on staff. Some art pieces have actually been quite attractive.

*Why do the three colours of paint they choose never match eachother? Congregations vote on the color combinations so I have seen less and less bad combinations, usually the interior designer sets out the choices.

• Megachusen
    Megachusen

Wow, Blondie. Apparently you've been getting all the halls that don't suck!

• Chalam
    Chalam

*Why don't they have windows?

John 3:18-20 (New International Version)

18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

All the best,

Stephen

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Sadly, the lack of windows is more about money than anything. I'm finding a lot of things about the WTS are all about the ka-ching.

How about this scripture:

"No one can be a slave to two masters, for, either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to one and despise the other. You cannot be slaves to God and riches." NWT

Windows cost more in air conditioning and insurance premiums and security. Also, I'm sure that looking out of windows might be conducive to doing some daydreaming to relieve the mind numbing content of 99% of the meetings.

I went to a Kingdom Hall with windows for many years, as it was in a low crime area where electricity and insurance was less costly.

I was always looking out of them daydreaming and wishing I was out there doing something less boring.

If boredom were lethal, most Jehovah's Witness speakers would be on death row.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Around where I am, about half the Kingdumb Hells I went to have windows (of course, they do not open). The chairs were not extremely uncomfortable, but they weren't the best I have seen either. And there is tacky artwork, depicting the New Dark Ages.

What I want to know is why crap air conditioning and climate control systems come standard with Kingdumb Hells.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit