South America: JWs == Christian Congregation?

by MissingLink 5 Replies latest jw friends

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

OK - so I have 3 Brazilians (illegal aliens) working at my house doing some stone work. The boss came to me near dinner time and said that he had to leave soon (not that I care, I'm not paying by the hour). Now imagine, their English is not great. The boss said that he had to go because he had to let people into his church. He is like the doorman, he has the key. Like an idiot I asked where his church was. He told me it was in our little town and it's called the "Christian Congregation". I said I never heard of it. Then he tells me "it's very big in Brazil" and that I should have heard of it, because the man who started it was from America. At this point my brain kicks in and I'm 95% sure he's talking about JWs, so I ask him what the name of his church was again. And he told me (slower this time because I seem a bit dim) "Christian Congregation".

So - what's the deal with this?

• They're dropping the JW name completely and using "Christian Congregation" now?
    • He's embarrassed to say he's a JW? (didn't seem like it since he's the one who brought it up)
    • It's a regional thing, and in Brazil they use a different name?
    • Just a language issue?
    • It's a completely different church he's talking about?

He also told me that they only have 4 Irish "brothers" in the church, all the rest are foreigners. This really sounds like our old congregation now - all immigrants, only a few Irish families. He said it's a very good church, the problem is that Irish people like to drink too much and won't join their church.

I'm keeping my mouth shut because they're doing a great job on the stone work and I don't want them running away.

During the conversation I was wearing my "Viva La EvoluciĆ³n" t-shirt that my wife gave me for my birthday.

So - what do you think? Why did he say his church was called "Christian Congregation"?

• wizardca
    wizardca

Could be the same, dunno. I do recall letters from the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses before, for what it's worth....

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Yea, I've heard of "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses" being the full official name now. But I've never heard it shortened to just "Christian Congregation". That sounds totally generic and could describe ANY Christian church.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

It may be he's refering to a completely different religion. Rifter showed me this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Congregation_of_Brazil

Christian Congregation in North America

It seems strange that the JWs would change their name to "Christian Congregation" when there was already another religion with this name. Maybe they want to form a merger.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I bet you a penny to a pinch of goat shit that he is not a jehovah's witless.

No jehoobie would miss an opportunity to 'name drop' his killer god.

Cheers

Chris

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Killer God. ha!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit