Does anyone have a Apple G5 Computer?

by FiveShadows 3 Replies latest jw friends

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

Okay, when i need advice, I usually come to this place because everyone is able to help in one way shape or form. Here's the thing: The outside family room computer that's hooked up to the internet through an ethernet cable modem is a Dell P/C. Now MY computer is an APPLE computer...G5. It is not connected to the internet. I know it has an ethernet slot inthe back, but because i'm veyr new to apple, i don't know how to work around it. I can do PC like a crackhead knowing where to find crack but the apple, i'm new to it. I want to get wireless onto the apple computer from the family p.c. ...now i bought a router, but here's the problem. I know i need something in the apple computer to pick up the reciever. My questions are: How do i Know if the Apple g5 has a wireless connection already built in?

2)Do Apple g5's already have wireless built in? If so How can i step by step locate that ...because on a pc. i click start go to control panel and TADOW! but on an apple, i'm like 'uh...find...uh...documents...no...library...no...where the hell is the control pannel?!?!?!' So i don't relaly know how to work around it. I bought the apple particularly because of the music composition, but seeing how the internet is becoming an issue here, i would prefer to have it on my g5.

3) My apple does have an Ethernet in the back, but the outside computer is setup to the modem. Now, I just bought a router BUT ...will i have to connect all ethernets togetheror something through the router? I just need to figure out how to do this correctly. Can anyone help?

Fs

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Hi FiveShadows,

Check out what you have under System Profiler. You can go to the Apple Menu (the Apple symbol top left corner), select 'About this Mac', then click on the 'More Info" button.

On the left hand side column you'll see headers like hardware network etc. Look for a listing 'Airport' and select it. If you have a built in wifi card (Apple calls them airport cards) then you see info on the right side about the card, if its on and if its connected to a particular wireless network.

If you have a card then go to System Preferences (from Apple Menu) and select the grey globe looking icon called Network. Depending on whether you have Tiger or Leopard the layout will then be different but thats where you begin to setup the Airport, ehternet etc connections. If you want to go wired through that router then you're right, you'll have to run an ethernet cable from the mac to one of the lan ports on the router. Same deal with the PC 9cable from PC to a lan on router). And you have your modem going into the wan port of the router.

PS: I don't own a G5 (Mac Pro, or iMac) so other macaddicts: please chip in.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

system profiler is the way to go, there you can see if you have wireless. To get wireless in a mac tower you basically need to have the wireless card installed inside the machine (its a small card and not pci). You could also look up on apple's site "how to install wireless card in G5" to see exactly were it is located inside your machine, that way you can just open it up and look.

If you don't have one in there you just have to get the card and pop it in, either that or you buy a 3rd party device that hooks up via usb or pci slot (mac compatible of course)

If your new to mac you may want to get some training on the OS just to help you out. Lynda.com is pretty good.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

I have a MacBook these days used to have a G4. My guess is your G5 probably doesn't have wireless built in, I seem to remember it was an option.

Application/Utilities/System Profiler and Applications/System Preferences are the way to go as the others have said.

Some cool videos here that might help?

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#tutorial=wirelessbasics

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#tutorial=wirelesssetup

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#tutorial=wirelessmore

G5 specs here

http://support.apple.com/specs/#powermac

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit