The Watchtowers exsistance "proves" the Bible is true

by drew sagan 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

People validate their own reilgious experiences in a variety of differant ways. For example, many in the power of prayer and see all of their life events as tied directly to the will of God. Others believe that they have been witnessed or experienced miracles of healing and revelation.

Jehovah's Witnesses are unique in that they typically ignore traditional means of verification, seeing them as superstitious, overly emotional, and self absorbed. Despite this, JWs still go about process of validation. I think it just happens to be more subtle (and possibly a bit more intersting).

As a person converts to the JW faith they begin to adpot a unique worldview. "Gods people" are on the move, preaching that the end is near. All of the worlds religions are corrupt and evil. The worlds political systems also are corrupt, and the United Nations is about to destroy religion as we know it. Essentially, there is one giant world conspiracy against Gods people and the truth which has manifested itself in many differant ways. As a person converts, they begin to see the world in these terms. Worlds events validate their belief that "the end is near" and that humanity will soon be subject to Gods wrath.

As a Witness I began to draw on these things not only as proof that the JW experience was valid, but also used it to validate my belief in God. I wasn't seeking to experience God through prayer or mystical experience, instead I experienced him by living through the JW worldview.

This especially extended to the organization. I eventually came to believe (as I feel many JWs do) that it is basically Gods responsibility to provide us with an organzation. Think about all those times the Watchtower told us how loving it was for God to give us his organization. I think many JWs eventually come to believe in the opposite of that statement. If such an organization was not in exsistance God would not have been doing his job. It's easy to see how many JWs get the feeling that if there was no organization God would be cruel and unloving.

What's interesting about this IMO is that JWs will give more wieght to these things than other issues. Usually the evidence given to support the validity of the Bible and the exsistance of Jehovah are rather bland and lack depth. However, information that builds up the miraculous nature of the organization is overflowing (think Revelation book vs. "Is there a creator who cares" book). So it seems to me that the way in which a Witnesses experiences and validates his belief in God (not just his faith in the organization) is more directly tied to the organizatinal experience.

Just kind of ranting a bit...

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

and thats prolly why they emphasize meeting attendance so much.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Very interesting and I agree. The Society arrogantly teaches that it's existence is proof of Jehovah's existence and his support of JW's. (It probably also explains why so many ex-JW's become agnostics and atheists. Their belief in God and the organisation were so intertwined that when they lost belief in one they also lost belief in the other.)

Heres a paragraph from last week's Watchtower where the Society links it's own existence and accomplishments with proof of God:

14. Some five centuries later, Jehovah used his power in an even greater way by delivering repentant humans from slavery to sin and death. (Rom. 5:12) One result was that the way was opened for 144,000 humans to become spirit-anointed followers of Christ. In 1919, Jehovah used his power to deliver a small remnant of these anointed ones from captivity to false religion. Their accomplishments during this time of the end can only be attributed to God's power. Upon proving faithful to death, they will share with Jesus Christ in ruling from heaven over the earth for the benefit of repentant humans. (Rev. 2: 26, 27; 5:9, 10) They will inherit the earth in a far grander way than did ancient Israel. --Matt. 5:5.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Not a rant at all, in my opinion. I think you made some excellent points! Zid

• carla
    carla

Good post as always. It never ceases to amaze me how self centered the org is on a whole and for an org claiming to be Christians they have so little to say about Him. Having to go through the org to get to Christ...... they are going to have a lot to answer for one day in my opinion. Sadly most jw's do equate the org with God, when they find out the org is false they tend to lose all faith. Can't say I blame them, spiritual abuse can do that to a person.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

As a person converts, they begin to see the world in these terms. Worlds events validate their belief that "the end is near" and that humanity will soon be subject to Gods wrath.

But when the world didn't end (eg 1975), they simply make up something else..........it requires a desire strong enough to use a denial of self and one's own identity, your soul.......in an attempt to 'be a winner' and placate fear. The Watchtower's existance validates certain passages in the bible.....just not the one's they were concentrating on.

• VM44
    VM44

" In 1919, Jehovah used his power to deliver a small remnant of these anointed ones from captivity to false religion."

In 1919 "Judge" Rutherford was released from prison.

How does this Watchtower writer know that Jehovah used his power?

He just makes statements and doesn't prove anything.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    As a Witness I began to draw on these things not only as proof that the JW experience was valid, but also used it to validate my belief in God. I wasn't seeking to experience God through prayer or mystical experience, instead I experienced him by living through the JW worldview.

I find it interesting how you say that almost as if one is naturally better than the other.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I find it interesting how you say that almost as if one is naturally better than the other.

Just visited this old thread an noticed your comment.

Do I find one naturally better than the other?

Hell no!

• Chalam
    Chalam

The Watchtowers exsistance "proves" the Bible is true

I agree!

2 Peter 2 (New International Version)

False Teachers and Their Destruction
    1 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.

2 Timothy 3:6-7 (New International Version)

6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth.

1 Timothy 1:3-7 (New International Version)

Warning Against False Teachers of the Law
    3 As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer 4 nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God's work—which is by faith. 5 The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6 Some have wandered away from these and turned to meaningless talk. 7 They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm. Blessings, Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit