My own little GB memory

by mindmelda 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I just remembered this, as it happened back in the mid 70s. My parents had taken my younger brother and I to hear two "special" talks in Salt Lake City.

The featured speakers were Knorr and Raymond Franz.

I remember being entranced by Franz, who was one of the more concise speakers I'd ever heard, very sharp, and rather bored by Knorr, who seemed elderly and vague. I was about 13/14 at the time but had these very distinct impressions.

Anyway, after the talks, the crowds were pressing in to get a chance to shake the speakers hands, and my 12 year old brother (who had ADHD and still does) pushed impulsively through the crowd and ran smack into Knorr. My brother (he's still irrepressible!) stuck out his hand to shake hands (ignored) and asked the first thing that came to his mind. "Hey, are you a pioneer?"

Knorr replied, looking a little embarrassed, "I don't have time to be a pioneer."

People sort of chuckled in embarrassment that heard and my brother darted back to us, standing a few rows back. "I talked to that Speaker Guy!" he proudly reported to my parents, who hustled him out of there.

One of the funnier JW moments I ever had. I snickered at my brother all the way home.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

THAT is a funny lil' story!

What does your brother say about this? Does he remember? Is he still "in"?

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

My brother was DF'd for a long time, but now reinstated, but pretty much inactive. He has a certain sentimental attachment to family and friends who are JWs and hangs around for that reason. He's not huge on Bible study, could care less. Just does enough to pass. Also, he's never been exposed to other religions. I really think if he weren't a Witness, he'd just be an agnostic.

Except he was never really DF'd, it was a huge fumble by whoever keeps track of records in the congregation he was in. He supposedly wrote a "disassociation letter" and it was announced at his congregation that he was no longer associated. But, he'd left the state when that was done. And it wasn't him who wrote the letter, it was his ex wife. She signed his name, forged it, without his knowledge to HER letter. No one bothered to check and he was gone anyway, so they announced it.

My brother had no idea. He'd left the state to find employment elsewhere after his wife left him for another guy. She was also an inactive Witness who finally decided to disassociate herself. She went to work as an exotic dancer in Las Vegas after that, she was a good looking thing, made a mint doing it. She's dead now, accidental insulin overdose. My brother has a son who he disowned because he's openly, flamboyantly gay, wears makeup, Adam Lambert gay, you know. He hasn't seen him in 8 years.

Anyway, my brother wandered around for a while and he was drinking heavily. He finally came back to see my parents, hitchhiking part of the way as he'd run out of money. He called my parents who informed him he was DFd, that he'd supposedly written this letter. He was amazed, he hadn't.

He came back protested it, asked for the letter, and no letter was produced, but the one elder left in the congregation he was in that was involved (the three others were gone, all DF'd themselves for running a business scam together, ahem) swore up and down there was a letter.

So, my brother was told he had to go through reinstatement. He did, 2 years of meeting attendance, being studied with by an elder. He was told if he missed even one meeting it would prolong the process, and with the work he does, it's impossible for him to attend all meetings. So, it took 2 years of jumping through hoops. My dad was so disgusted he stepped down, became inactive himself.

I was mad too, it was just total crap. I quit attending meetings, going out in service...this was about 15 years ago, my first inactive period, then the lured me back with the love bombs later.

But, finally, the elders called my brother in to reinstate him and the PO casually says, "We finally found your old publisher file about 6 months ago...it had you mistakenly listed as 'deceased' and there was no letter in your file. It was in your ex wife's file, though. Is this your signature?"

My brother looks at it an laughs. He's dyslexic and has dysgraphia, so he can't write well at all in cursive, has a very distinctive scribble that you can't reproduce for his sig. He writes it for them and they compare. It's not his sig on the letter. He'd written no letter, just as he always claimed.

"Oh, well, I guess we should have looked into this sooner." the PO says, and oh by the way, you're reinstated, yay, love bombs all around.

He went through two years of shunning for NOTHING. They simply didn't want to believe him because you don't ever believe a DF'd person, you see...they're evil.

I personally can't believe he put up with it, but he felt he deserved it, because he was an alcoholic and was thrown in jail for a DUI twice.

But, the fact remains...he never wrote that letter.

My brother remembers the Brother Knorr story. He's quite funny, tells it once in a while.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

mindmelda...

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    "Oh, well, I guess we should have looked into this sooner." the PO says

WOW! What a story! What a history... although I guess we really shouldn't be surprised at how things were "handled"... glad it prompted your Dad to walk away, anyway.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

My only first-hand experience with a GB member was horrible. I don't know which GB member it was, but he was giving a talk at our district convention. I was about 14 at the time. It was the day after one of his public talks, and I bumped into him in the bathroom. Washing our hands next to eachother, I expressed my appreciation for the talk, and then went to dry my hands. He suddenly grabbed me by my arm, and scolded me. "You didn't use any soap, boy."

I guess my apostacy took root at an early age. I didn't use soap. His council went unheeded though.. as soon as he let go.. I made an immediate bee-line for the door, and made sure to 'lose him' in mid-day crowd. To my horror, the next day my family and a few others were invited to have dinner with the GB! I had to hide my face behind other people throughout the entire meal - he might recognize me! The doesn't use soapboy. It was a nightmare. My dad was the local PO and sitting right next to him, and eventually he'd have to recognize me. The elders would find out that when a GB member told me to jump I didn't ask 'how high'?

Another good memory,

When I was really little, maybe 4.. and my older brother 5, my family took the District Overseer out to lunch. (The honor... that's like what, an archbishop?)

Midway through the meal, my brother suddenly walks up to the overseer and asks him in all solemn seriousness,"Do you know what dad said he will do to me if I don't behave today?"

The overseer looks puzzled, and asks him "What?" My brother sticks his finger up against his throat, and slowly drags his finger across his throat making the obligatory "shhhhhhhhkkk!!" sound (as in.. daddy will cut my throat.)

My dad jokes about it, and claims he doesn't know where my brother could have gotten the idea. Sure. Kids say the darndest things sometimes.

- Lime

• mouthy
    mouthy

I was just studying with the JWs in 1960 ,,
    When my study conductor told me she was going with others to clean the hall.
    I offered to go & help clean...She thought it would be a good association for me.
    I went in my very flashy slacks, (embroidery up the sides ,flowers)
    Worked real hard, met real "loving" folks...then the one in charge( an elder)
    took me aside & thanked me but said "It would be best to do as the bible says
    & read about modestly dressing..He said my slacks were very worldy & would
    stumble other new ones,,,,I chucked em out!!!!I got baptised three years later,
    after being able to quit smoking, swearing,telling dirty jokes,so therefore became PERFECT
    Yes a PERFECT ROBOT!!!!

I know I'm stupid!!!

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Funny event...I knew Franz, Knorr, and Gangas

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Mouthy, it's so hard to envision you swearing and smoking! You sound such a lady on the phone. LOL

You're still pretty fiesty, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit