Stoning. When did it stop?

by lurk3r 7 Replies latest jw friends

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

I know that it still goes on in Iran and Somalia etc , but when did the Jews stop doing this?

lurk3r

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Don't blame the Jews!

Stoning is alive and well.

It just comes in different forms.

WT has it's own unique version.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Stoning stopped? Man, who bogarted the weed?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

In 1709 there was a shortage of stones in the middle east so they began beheading people instead which has continues in Suadi arabia even today.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I don't think it was ever (or how it could ever be within the non-centralised structure of Judaism) abolished in principle (it is still one of the four forms of capital punishment in the Talmud, although talmudic rules strictly limit its potential application). But in practice it depended whether the Jewish community was authorised to execute capital punishment under Gentile law. The Gospel Passion plots imply that the Jewish High Council (sanhedrin) could not apply the death penalty (explicitly so in John, which insists that otherwise Jesus would have been stoned instead of crucified -- a symbolic "providence" in Johannine terms, since "crucified" = "raised from the earth"). Otoh the case of Stephen suggests the opposite, although a "lynching" story may have developed into an "official condemnation".

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Interesting, Narkissos, I always thought that this is a particularly horrible way to kill somebody, even if they deserved capital punishment . I am sure that there could always have been better ways of doing it .

NB But I can't help remembering Monty Python's "Life of Brian"

I used to wonder too about Exodus 21 where it says that a bull that killed someone had to be stoned to death...Can you imagine how hard that would be and how long it would take??

• Satanus
    Satanus

Tying a stone on the end of a stick, ala, the indian club would make it easier and quicker.

S

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I'm getting stoned right now...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit