what is MARKING about now....talks...or personal opinion??

by oompa 6 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
  • boyzone
    boyzone

Dunno.

I never knew anyone who was marked officially but there were several JW's that were regarded as a bit dodgy and better kept at arms length. Mostly these were the slightly eccentric ones or the ones on the fringes.

I would say then that its personal opinion spread by the gossip mongerers in the cong. Unless an elder here can correct me.

• screwproof
    screwproof

I watched a Twilight Zone this morning and the marked became invisible to mankind. Not really invisible but all who seen his mark on his forehead were not to talk to him. Was funny, I knew it was being aimed at Jehovahs witnesses showing how stupid the shunning is.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

The official position is that it involves a talk. Atlantis reproduced the relevant chapter from the Organized book (issued in 2004/05) on this thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/175857/1/Question-about-marking-in-the-congregation

I'll take the liberty of quoting it here:

MARKING DISORDERLY ONES

In his second letter to the Thessalonians, Paul warned of certain ones who were walking disorderly and who if accorded good standing in the congregation could exert an unhealthy influence. Paul admonished the Thessalonian Christians "to withdraw from every brother walking disorderly and not according to the tradition you received from us." He further clarified that statement by writing: "If anyone is not obedient to our word through this letter, keep this one marked, stop associating with him, that he may become ashamed. And yet do not be considering him as an enemy, but continue admonishing him as a brother."?2 Thess. 3:6,14,15.

Occasionally, someone not known to be guilty of practicing a grave sin for which he could be expelled nevertheless displays flagrant disregard for theocratic order. This could include such things as being grossly lazy or critical, being a profitless talker who is a constant 'meddler with what does not concern him.' (2 Thess. 3:11) Or this could include one who is scheming to take material advantage of others or indulging in entertainment that is clearly improper. The disorderly conduct is not so minor that it can be handled by applying Bible counsel and manifesting love; rather, it is serious enough to reflect badly on the congregation and potentially to spread to other Christians.

After giving repeated admonition to such an individual and finding that he persists in disregarding well-established Bible principles, the elders may decide that a talk should be given to the congregation providing appropriate counsel concerning such disorderly conduct. Elders will use reasonableness and discernment in determining whether a particular situation is sufficiently serious and disturbing to require a warning talk. This talk will not name the disorderly one. However, those who are aware of the situation described in the talk will take heed and limit their social contacts with such individuals.

The loving concern and firm stand of faithful members of the congregation could indeed move the disorderly one to shame and repentance. When it is clearly evident that the individual has abandoned his disorderly course, it would no longer be necessary to treat him as a marked individual.

• undercover
    undercover

Okay oompa and OMG...you boys play pretty now...

• blondie
    blondie

The confusion as to official marking talks is that names are never mentioned from the platform. The word "marking" may not even be used in the talk. A behavior is discussed, such as overdrinking or marrying outside the organization. This has been discussed among the elders and one is chosen to give the talk. It is expected that if someone in the audience knows of someone doing these things or other (not df'ing offenses), they will not socialize with these people. I can see why some may just not realize they heard a marking talk.

This is not to be confused with a talk by an elder which follows someone's being reproved privately (for a df'ing offense).

The unofficial marking done by individuals without the involvement of the body of elders, is supposed to be a personal thing and not because of personality conflicts. It shouldn't be talked about to others, but we know that besides sex the next most popular recreational thing in congregations is gossip.

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

Marking is supposed to be done only after the elders give a talk. You're not supposed to mark on your own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit