Need Help From Computer Savvy Person

by choosing life 7 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

I had a message come up on windows that said I have a "corrupted file". The computer is still running ok, but I am not sure what to do about the corrupted file. It didn't say what file?

Can something like this cause the computer to crash? Is it ok to still use it or should something be checked out first?

Any help is much appreciated.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

First question to clarify - is it a Windows error message or is it some 'software' telling you?

• choosing life
    choosing life

It was from Windows and it asked if I wanted to report the problem to Windows.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

That sounds ok then!

Those sort are usually fine to ignore - its probably something which needs patching. I got the same one for a while - it used to close my internet down, irritating but harmless! I sent them the error report twice but nothing happened so I just ignored it until it stopped happening.

Make sure you run your Windows updates regularly, that should keep errors to a minimum

disclaimer - emo isn't very computer savvy LOL!

• choosing life
    choosing life

Thanks, emo. Everything is running ok now, but I didn't want it to crash later. Can't afford to replace it.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Do this.

1) Go to Start.

2) Then select Run.

3) Then type CMD.

4) When the black box opens up, type the following:

5) CHKDSK /R C:

6) It will ask you if you want to run at next restart. Type "Y" and hit enter.

7) Reboot at your next convenience.

Checkdisk will run at your next reboot, it will check your hard drive for corruption, flag bad sectors, and repair damaged files (if possible). The process could take a couple of hours, it depends.

BTS

• choosing life
    choosing life

Thanks, Burn. I will try what you suggest. Sounds simple enough even for me to do.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

just depends on the error. sometimes windows repairs itself. PM me if the chkdsk doesnt work. I will check off and on the next couple of days (when I am not otherwise "occupied"....LOL.

Snakes ()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit