How To Win A Debate Without Really Thinking

by AllTimeJeff 4 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

This isn't as bad as it seems.... (in other words, I am not trying to piss anyone off....)

I am reminded when I see John Boehner, or Pelosi, who spend over half their time defining the opposition, of the fact that many debates here and in our personal lives (work, family, etc) are fought with the same tactic.

Define the other side.

Never mind that your way is better. It seems to me that we aren't drawn into a discussion/debate because of a positive thought or direction. But the opposition.... Oh they tick us off sooooo much....

I admit to that. I am happy to look for any right wing piƱata I can find. When I see a fundie Christian being exclusive with their dogma, I enter, not to present a positive alternative, but to discredit what I believe needs to be discredited.

And to be fair, a liberal like me will get a lot of flack from the right on various matters.... They are ticked off at liberals for whatever reason, and down a negative road we go.

I think there are many positive rows to hoe in the liberal vein. I am (sometimes) open to Conservative thought, when it doesn't offend my liberal sensitivities.... (I am soooo sensitive, it hurts to sit... lol)

This board, JWN (and the former JWD) illustrate this very well in my mind. While serving a purpose, it also attracts a lot of negative energy. Basically, we ex JW's for all of our blathering about Taxes, Tea Parties, Bush II and Obama, are here because we all came to one conclusion in our own way: Jehovah's Witnesses do not have the "truth". The Governing Body has pushed many lies, and covered up many scandals.

And that is as far as we go. So when we run out of new topics to discredit JW dogma (Jehovah belonging in the NT, the FD Slave is the same as the GB, etc), off we go, expressing all the wisdom being an ex JW has given us in matters that are non JW related. Like a 5 year old needing to run around, sometimes we ex JW's have a lot of negative energy that needs expressing in other ways outside of the bullseye we attach to our former faith.

Thus, we debate, and argue. And we define the deficiencies, what the other "side" is not. And we argue. (or post NEWS FLASHES)

This isn't meant to judge the debates on this board. It is merely an observation I thought I would share. Make of it what you will..... For my part, I can't wait for some on our board to "respectfully discuss" another current event item... Or to tell me about their latest talk with Jesus..... Let the good times roll......

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

AllTime Jeff..You do add to the intrique of JWN.......Very Cool.................OUTLAW

• whatcanIsay
    whatcanIsay

Yeah that is funny! Good thing we all are not one big Borg!

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Defining the opposition is an age old tactic. More often than not it creates mere strawmen. This is evident in the current political climate.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Leaving the JWs is a stepping stone towards getting back to real life. I don't agree that being engaged in the real world debates about governance of the society we are a part of is simply a safety valve so we can let off the head of steam we've built up over our JW escape.

The energy put into debate of many issues such as taxes, education, health care and similar life concerns, is more natural and instinctive than being focused on the teachings of an end- of- the- world weired religous cult. It is interesting to observe how two xJW's who have had identical JW backgrounds can almost instinctivly gravitate towards opposite poles of political philosophy. I think this board tends toward the liberal side of the spectrum but there is a fairly solid core of conservatives who hold up their side. Many X's react by tossing all religous influence out of their lives and embracing current trends in more's and popular political trends. Others leave the org with a fresh approach to fundamental Christianity.

When these diverse survivors get together in a forum like this it would be impossible not to have heated debate and if that gives them the benefit of working off their chosen passion like a 5 yr old running off a sugar fix, so be it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit