An issue with a 100th Birthday

by muse 5 Replies latest jw friends

• muse
    muse

I was born in and left the religion as soon as I left home at 18. I had to move 70 miles away from my family and friends to do a 'slow fade'. I lock the thoughts of how I was brought up, the religion itself and the failed prophecies away because I get wound up and distressed if I dwell on it too much. Stupid I know but I cannot get rid of it. I was doing well until recently.

My Grandmothers 100th birthday is coming up and my Dad, an elder, has told my Mum, that she cannot attend, not even to pop in for 30 minutes for the family photo. My Uncle (worldly) had rung my Dad up to ask permission for Mum to come, he respects the JW view on birthdays even though he does not understand it but mentioned that as it is such an achievement to reach 100, that surely Mum could pop in when all the family are there to say hello. Not sing happy birthday, no card or present, just be there, say Hi and leave. It is still a no. The family now have an opinion of JWs that is unprintable. My Grandmother was in tears and my Mum, who is not rigid in the faith and never has been, is also upset. I am also upset as its brought the frustration of the stupidness and pain this religion can cause back to me. Why can JWs not see that this sort of attitude looks intolerant, exclusive and arrogant, do they not care what worldly people think of them or is it fear of repurcussion from the rest of the 'flock'? Dad wanted me to go out to see them both for lunch before me and my family went off to see my Nan but I have said it is not possible as to see them and then leave without them coming with us was too much for me. I did not give my Dad a reason on why I was not going to meet them for lunch, just that I could not make it. Am I wrong to feel that way?

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Something similar with my mother's 105th birthday. All I did was buy a cake from the grocery store and asked them to write "Happy Birthday, Mom." I was turned in by my daughter. Lo and behold! I was counselled by two elders. I talked my way out of it, but I will never again allow them to meet with me.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    Dad wanted me to go out to see them both for lunch before me and my family went off to see my Nan but I have said it is not possible as to see them and then leave without them coming with us was too much for me. I did not give my Dad a reason on why I was not going to meet them for lunch, just that I could not make it. Am I wrong to feel that way?

If your grandmother is able to make it out of the house, why not see if she could accompany you and your family out to lunch with your mom and dad, so your mom could see her right before the party? If she can't make it out of the house, why not pack a light picnic lunch and bring it with you, and have your mom and dad join you?

• watson
    watson

Jehovah's Witnesses are "no part of this world," and they want it that way. They welcome the criticism, and hope that they are ostricized from society. It's confirmation for them.

• wobble
    wobble

When it suits the Dubs they will do anything so that "reproach" does not come on Jehoobah,s name,like cover up paedophilia and other wrongdoing,but oh no,you mustn't go to a birthday party! Bunch of unfeeling hypocritical a**holes,they don't even read their own handbok,the Bible, "Honour your Father and your Mother " etc. What kind of respect is this showing to Nan and the family?

Love,

a seething Wobble

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Muse, you have a PM.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit