Apostasy

by Blueeyes54 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueeyes54
    Blueeyes54

Would anyone like to disect the meaning of Apostasy? It was changed to get rid of me. So if I missed something in the translation let me know.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Ok - I'll start.

Here is Wiki's definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy

Apostasy (IPA: /?'p?st?si/) is the formal religious disaffiliation or abandonment or renunciation of one's religion, especially if the motive is deemed unworthy. In a technical sense, as used sometimes by sociologists without the pejorative connotations of the word, the term refers to renunciation and criticism of, or opposition to, one's former religion. One who commits apostasy is an apostate, or one who apostatizes. The word derives from Greek αποστασ?α (apostasia), meaning a defection or revolt, from απο, apo, "away, apart", στασις, stasis, "stand", "standing".

Apostasy is generally not a self-definition: very few former believers call themselves apostates and they generally consider this term to be a pejorative. Many religious movements consider it a vice (sin), a corruption of the virtue of piety in the sense that when piety fails, apostasy is the result.

Many religious groups and even some states punish apostates. The concept of apostasy is used to enforce group cohesion and utilize fear to suppress the free will of the individual. Apostates may be shunned by the members of their former religious group [ 1 ] or worse. This may be the official policy of the religious group or may happen spontaneously. A church may in certain circumstances respond to apostasy by excommunicating the apostate, while some Abrahamic scriptures (Judaism: Deuteronomy 13:6-10) and Islam: al-Bukhari, Diyat, bab 6) demand the death penalty for apostates.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome Blueeyes54. With the WB&TS, apostasy means anything the gb wants it to mean.

• wobble
    wobble

They state quite plainly in the Elders "Flock" book that anyone who doesn't go along with present WT teaching is an Apostate,no matter that the teaching is not scriptural .No matter too,that the teaching may change to your view the day after you were DF'd,it is a sin to "run ahead"

They have certainly demonized us Apostates too,in the minds of the Dubs. We are the ultimate in Evil,equal to Satan himself,dangerous even to look upon if passing in the street.

Love

Wobble

• yknot
    yknot

Per - Wobble's comments.... http://www.watchtower.cc/PayAttention.pdf

Pay Attention To Yourselves and All the Flock...pg 94

Apostasy .
    Apostasy is a standing away from, a falling away, defection, rebellion, abandonment ; it involves teaching false doctrines, supporting or promoting false religion and its holidays or interfaith activities. (Deut . 13 :13, 15 ; Josh.22 :22, ftn . ; Acts 21 :21, ftn. ; 2 Cor. 6 :14, 15, 17, 18 ;2 John 7, 9, 10 ; Rev . 18 :4)
    Those with sincere doubts should be helped, dealt with mercifully . (Jude 22, 23 ; w82 9/1 pp . 20-1 ; w80 8/1pp . 21-2)
    Apostasy includes action taken against true worship ofJehovah or his established order among his dedicatedpeople . (Jer . 17 :13 ; 23 :15 ; 28 :15, 16 ; 2 Thess. 2 :9, 10)
    Persons who deliberately spread (stubbornly hold to andspeak about) teachings contrary to Bible truth as taught by Jehovah's Witnesses are apostates .

This is the only definition the Elders are allowed to consider.

• wobble
    wobble

It is that last phrase that I particularly had in mind,the average JW Elders idea of Bible Truth is what is in the WT publications,not what is in the Bible,plain for all to see.So you may after much study and prayerfull consideration of Bible Truths find you disagree with the WT and be DF'd for Apostasy,because the publications disagree with your valid view.

Cult or what?

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit