Need References for Article I'm Writing re Spain Bethel

by donuthole 7 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• donuthole
    donuthole

I'm looking for the following items for an article I'm writing regarding the current situation at the Madrid Bethel.

A scanned copy of the letter to the US congregation in 1990 regarding the "donation arrangement"

I have a vague recollection that something was said to the affect that the donation arrangement was a loving provision to help the poor who couldn't otherwise afford the literature to get a copy. This isn't in the initial 1990 letter announcing the "donation arrangement", which speaks more about "simplification". Was this in follow up information, in a KM, something that was just suggested on the platform, or am I totally confused?

Would like any information regarding the potential sale of the Spanish Bethel facility and/or move of equipment to German branch office.

My understanding is that after the Spain ruled that the Spanish Bethel had to provide pension benefits for Bethel workers, the congregations were told that the Spanish Bethel would be providing this as a "loving arrangement to provide for those who've worked so long in furthering Kingdom interests." Does anyone know how this was conveyed - in a KM? in a letter? If in a letter, does anyone have a copy of this letter?

My understanding is that Social Security Office of Spain made the initial ruling but that Org fought this in Supreme(?) court. Is this correct? Is there any documentation or information on this?

Would like a scanned picture of the Madrid Bethel compound.

Thanks in advance ...

Anthony

• donuthole
  • r.a.m.
    r.a.m.

For those who are interested, here is a rough translation of that letter --

Jehovah's Christian Witnesses

September 4, 2008

TO CONGREGATIONS

Dear Brothers,

It is our pleasure to write and bring to your attention news that is of particular significance for Jehovah's Witnesses in Spain.

Witnesses have been active in this country since the beginning of the twentieth century. However, we did not obtain legal recognition of our work until 1970. Since then the Lord has abundantly blessed this part of the world's territory. We have now spent several consecutive months exceeding 100,000 publishers.

Mid-year 2006 we got another historical recognition. We were declared Religion obviously rooted in Spain. This recognition provided for in the law regulating the exercise of religious freedom is given to the Witnesses due to their presence in the country, scope, number of believers, historic presence and influence, among other reasons. This statement is the culmination of a process that began in the year 1990 and allows us to hold strong hopes of improving our legal status in the near future. We will inform you timely of further developments in this regard.

The other issue which we wish to inform has to do with the Religious Order of Jehovah's Witnesses, composed of missionaries, special pioneers, bethelites, assembly hall caretakers and traveling overseers. In the year 2003, the world order was legal in our country through its entry in the Register of Religious Entities of the Ministry of Justice. Subsequently, the Governing Body approved the request for integration of members of the Order in the General System of Social Security as "ministers of religion."

As a result of a request by the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs for that purpose, the Council of Ministers approved last December by a Royal Decree which included members of the Religious Order of Jehovah's Witnesses in Spain in Social Security. This standard ratified the status of religious ministers ordered the special full-time servants appointed by the Corps Gobemante. It also recognizes that any activity that takes place within the Order represents an altruistic religious service designed to promote the witnessing work. Those brothers are now able to benefit from the protective action of Social Security, such as health care and other related public benefits. Finally, given the religious nature of the activities, several exclusions were incorporated in the price that should make the confession to Social Security by each member of the Order.

We hope that these developments have a positive effect on the work of preaching the good news of the Kingdom during the "last days" in which we live. We have good reason to look to the future with optimism as we continue to strive to render service to our Creator who deserves praise (Psalm 107:31,32,38).

Have our gratitude for your support and cooperation while we send our Christian love.

Your brothers,

NOTE TO THE PRESIDING OVERSEER: Please have an elder read this at the first service meeting upon receipt. Thank you very much for your kind cooperation.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

so they say it is a blessing to be able to get a pension?

why are they then removing these from their "pensionable" service?

• yesidid
    yesidid

That is some of the best spin doctoring I have ever seen.

• donuthole
    donuthole

Here is a link to my write up on the subject --

http://www.anthonymathenia.com/?p=319

-- could be better, but my lack of Spanish made researching this difficult.

• yesidid
    yesidid

That's an excellent resume Anthony.

I read many articles in your very interesting site.

Welcome to the board.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Another great article, Anthony.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit