Regarding Elders Snooping On Facebook, MySpace & Other Sites

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I was reading the thread of how an elder parent was snooping on his daughter's Facebook.

I believe that many JWs, not just elders probably snoop around to see what some Witnesses are doing, whether they be inactive, disassociated or active.

Do you think JWs "snoop" on the internet or if they have access to your computer, do you think they'll try to uncover something about you?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

curriosity killed the cat.

I think many people snoop.

Especially if they think someones not looking and they have the opportunity.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Its true. I know a sister who has a fake facebook account, and gets the young kids to accept her as a "friend", then she queals to their parents and the elders about what they all have on their facebook.

FYI - I don't know the name she goes by, but she told me she is a 24 year old man from Trinidad.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I don't 'do' any social networking sites, but I believe you can set options so just your 'friends' can see (eg, your pictures) ?

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I don't know if they do for ex-witnesses, mainly because if you search for me you'll find my myspace page which tells you my wrestling name and if you search that the third thing you find is my Tough Questions site. Which I'm sure would've came up in conversations by now LOL.

For active witnesses I'm pretty sure they do because a bunch of JWs that I was in contact with had to delete their accounts.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm not inclined to call looking at publicly available information "snooping".

Facebook and MySpace both have security settings that allow you to block your information from anyone who is not a "Friend". My Facebook and Myspace pages are both locked down so that a non-Friend will see no more than my name.

I recommend others do the same.

Never post anything on Facebook or Myspace that you would not want published on the front page of every newspaper in the world.

• Nostromo
    Nostromo

I have heard there have been some judicial committees already based on Jw-photos that some elders have seen on facebook. These elders have probably thought like "wow this is a clever way to find out what those youths are really doing" because otherwise they would have no idea. But I guess many young Jws are now quite careful about what to put on facebook or who to choose as friends because they know they might be busted.

• undercover
    undercover

I don't Facebook, MySpace, Twitter or any of that jazz... so there's not much they can snoop about me.

I'm pretty careful on this site, only a select few here know my true identity (that I came from Planet Krypton wrapped in my baby's blanket when the Kent's found me...oops, I gave too much away).

But, I'm sure JWs do snoop on the Internet looking for juicy gossip on other dubs (or inactive dubs) who do Facebook et al... back before the Internet, dubs snooped on each other and gossipped about each other. The advent of the Internet will only make them more proficient at it.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I remember a few years ago when the My Space craze was going on. The CO paid a visit and I received a call from one of the elders. They were showing me my kids My Space pages. They lectured me on how I shouldn't allow my kids to have access to such stuff if I wanted to progress....Sheesh.

So, yeah, they do look at these sites to dig up dirt on others.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

We had a local needs about using Bebo and the elder repeatedly called Bebo a "chatroom". This in itself resulted in much chortling by young JWs on....Bebo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit