Monotheism and the worst intolerance.

by Mr Ben 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

I know that evil things have been by polytheists as well as monotheists. But I was watching a program about the ancient Egyptians a couple of months ago – I think it was on channel 4. Anyway it showed how incredibly advanced the old Egyptians really were, performing engineering feats that we still cannot reproduce today without our technology. Their society was a polytheistic one and everyone got on reasonably well, until a particular pharaoh came along who was Egypt’s first monotheist. He went immediately about the torture of dissenters and went on a rampage of destruction of the names, idols & temples of all the “false” gods. The Egyptian economy collapsed and they went from being an international trader to an isolated, inward looking & regressive state. It seems to me that monotheistic thought encourages intolerance, hatred, poverty and murder.

It makes me think of the Taliban and also of what the Governing Body would like to do if it ever had real power.

Did anyone else see the program and can fill in the gaps, i.e. the name of the program and the name of that particular pharaoh?

Religion n.
    An organisation designed to promote atheism.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Didn't see the program. If memory serves, the phaoraoh was Akh-an-Aten. Interesting theory. Certainly plenty of anecdotal evidence to support it.

--
    "The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit