"Negotiating a Reasonable Bride Price" - anyone seen this article??

by ziddina 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ziddina
    ziddina

Puh-leeeeze!! However, you do have a point - the custom of the expensive wedding ring and expensive automobile is rooted in the Middle Eastern custom of providing the wife with wearable cash, so that after the man hard-heartedly divorces her and throws her out, she's not completely destitute... Still too much inequity in modern Western civilization - women still only earn 55-60 cents to a dollar of mens' wages...

My wedding ring (first marriage to JW) was bought in a second-hand store (ooooh! Demons!) for $25. My wedding ring (second marriage) was $50 in a pawn/jewelry shop - simple band that I wore until I broke it while mowing the lawn... The fact that we were both so frugal allowed us to buy a condo within a few years of our marriage, even tho we started out with nothing.

When we finally did come into a little money (second marriage) we used it to pay off the house - not buy a chunk of crystallized carbon....

Expensive, late-model sedan - Hah! I threw a hissy fit when he made me get rid of my 17-year-old Honda Accord LXi hatchback for a new car - HATED the new car and we got rid of it, but I didn't get my little baby Honda back.... I still miss that car... [SnIFFFF!]

Zid

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Ziddina isn't alone in her attitude. I went for almost 16 year without a ring on my finger and this December will be my 17th wedding anniversary. Women of quality are out there. My best advice is give the ring you can afford, if she wants bigger maybe she's not the woman for you.

Josie

• meangirl
    meangirl

I bought my husband's wedding band myself....so dere!!!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

All these people out there are getting the wrong impression of dating and engagement rings from watching the show "the bachelor"

• parakeet
    parakeet

If a woman is convinced of her man's love for her, she doesn't and shouldn't require a humungous, expensive rock to confirm it. The money spent on a useless diamond, however pretty, is better spent on a downpayment on a house or other investment that starts the new couple off on a good financial footing. Not initially as romantic, I know, but in the long run, a much more loving thing to do.

I refused to let my soon-to-be husband buy me a diamond. He couldn't afford it, and I loved him too well to allow him to struggle to pay off a useless bauble. I've always disliked the way women compare diamond rings, as though owning the biggest diamond means anything. The only "diamond" jewelry I have now is CZ -- just as pretty.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I bought my wife one when we got married, last year the rock fell out.

we found it, but she has not worn it since

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

If your gonna pay a bride price do you get a 100,000 mile garentee replacement policy? Can you pay extra for tinted eyelashes....cruise control, a DVD player thrown in.....do they come in leather? Yum!

• parakeet
    parakeet

007: If your gonna pay a bride price do you get a 100,000 mile garentee replacement policy? Can you pay extra for tinted eyelashes....cruise control, a DVD player thrown in.....do they come in leather? Yum!

007, I know just the girl for you. Her name is Bianca, and she appears in a movie called "Lars and the Real Girl." It's a match made in ....... vinyl.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit