My sons first real birthday celebration...

by Jack Burton 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jack Burton
    Jack Burton

So my youngest son turned 5 today. This was our first real party for one of our children. We always did what I expect alot of us witnesses did, have a "special day" party...just not calling it a birthday. We had a good time, even invited some neighbor kids over for cake. They came over with their Dad, who wanted to wish Satchel a happy birthday. He thought it would be a great idea for his kids to sing happy birthday to my son. So we all joined in.

After they went home my wife and I were talking about how weird it felt, we wondered if we had done the birthday thing right, wich seems completely ridiculous. It made me think of how deeply the tentacles of "The Truth" penetrate a person.

Any thoughts on how long its taken you to shed the last shreds of "the new personality"?

I guess I would rather do a half-assed job of being "wordly", than be a blind sheep anyday!

• mouthy
    mouthy

WEll So gllad to know a kid had a birthday party!!!!
    Good for you. 5 years is a bit late but better late than never...

Good for you DAD!!!!!! It get even better as you practice the LOVING on YOUR terms....

• musky
    musky

Jack, I don't believe that the Watchtower is teaching the "truth", But we still give our kids a special day instead of a birthday party. I grew up as a witness, So it is very hard to break free of the wrong teachings. We don't do the Christmas tree thing or go all out for other holiday's either. We try to love our kids and raise them the best we can, so I hope that's good enough. As a kid growing up, I did not even have a "special" day. It was just a plain old regular day. Anyway, I wish you the best with your son. Many good years ahead!

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

Good for you, the children will love you for it.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

The more you see the joy that birhdays and holidays bring to your children, the easier it will be to drop the WB&TS's nonsense. Have fun!

• darthfader
    darthfader

Even as Witnesses, we always went out to dinner to "commemorate" our children's birthdays - if not for them, at least for us as we were happy we were together for another year. Now that we have faded (almost completely) we have been more... flexible and willing to attend Birthday Parties and even.. (gasp) bring gifts. Im still working on the Mrs' Darth to relax and see the fun in some of the holiday celebrations (im more liberal in that regard )....

Darth Fader

• chicken little
    chicken little

So glad you had a great day for your son. We stopped 2 years ago..our son was 6 at the time. Our grown children never had birthdays...so the first one to come around was our oldest sons 25th birthday...we suprised him when he came by with a cake with candles on...I was in such a hurry to hide it I put it back in the fridge with the candles on as he came in. I burnt a big hole in the top of the inside fridge!!! Our little boy then told a sister when she came by.....mummy burnt the fridge with......, birthday cake. Her face was a picture!

We had a pirate birthday party for our little boy and our son and daughter and boyfriend travelled 4 hours to be there so as not to miss the fun....they had as much fun as the little kids....poor deprived things. we also had special days when we were in...but it is not the same.

I never got it when witnesses had no problem saying happy anniversary and lots of presents, yet to say happy birthday for ones own child was a sin.

Enjoy..that is what I say now. Just had a lovely bunch of flowers and chocs for Mums day delivered...

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

God loves a party!

Luke 15:11-32 (New International Version)

The Parable of the Lost Son
    11 Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.

13 "Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 "When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' 20 So he got up and went to his father.
    "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 "The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. [ a ] '

22 "But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

25 "Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.'

28 "The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'

31 " 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' "

Luke 15 (The Message)

The Story of the Lost Coin

8-10 "Or imagine a woman who has ten coins and loses one. Won't she light a lamp and scour the house, looking in every nook and cranny until she finds it? And when she finds it you can be sure she'll call her friends and neighbors: 'Celebrate with me! I found my lost coin!' Count on it—that's the kind of party God's angels throw every time one lost soul turns to God."

I am sure He loves a birthday party that celebrates life, the gift He has given.

All the best,

Stephen

• Perry
    Perry

Congratulations Jack!

My son's birthday party was last Saturday. He turned 4.

God Bless you and yours.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit