Who joined because of personal tragedy

by creativhoney 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

I know my mum joined because my oldest brother David, her eldest son died at aged 19 he died in his sleep from an epileptic fit. - how many people do you think join this faith with a vengeance because of tragedy?

It makes me sad that my mums whole belief system began because of her love for her children, - she has no contact with me now. - how can you love a child so much you join a religion but then that religion makes you accept that its ok to cut your children off.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I think a lot of folks joined when they were very vulnerable. I didn't... but I was born-in.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I had recently moved into another apartment on the same street. But that wasn't what did it--they exploited my inability to meet the opposite sex to get me in, promising to fix that problem, and then claiming that I needed to do what they told me in order to get that "blessing". Once I got baptized, however, they actively tried to exploit the problem (obviously, they didn't want it fixed any more than Merck wants cancer cured).

At that point, they tried to get me to pio-sneer. They would not leave me alone, to the point where if I did pio-sneer, it would not have counted anyways. Ultimately, they wanted me to become an assistant hounder, and then go to the Value Destroyer Training School, get assignments to bring the witless congregation up to Critical Mass, and then use that to seize control of the government and plunge the whole world into the Second Dark Ages.

• Waffles
    Waffles

Witnesses love to take advantage of personal tragedies as a chance to "give a witness".

How many times have we been counciled to do things like giving a "What Hope For Dead Loved Ones" brochure to the poor "worldly" workmate who just lost someone in death?

Something about that just rubs me the wrong way...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit