What it was like...

by bazackward 6 Replies latest jw friends

• bazackward
    bazackward

After posting yesterday about help with the situation with my grandma, I got an idea for Mother's Day. Any of you with some spare time could probably help me out.

It has to do with better understanding my own mother. For those of you who were born in the 50's, could you maybe take a minute or two to help me understand what it was like to grow up as a JW especially around that time frame? My mom is no longer a JW, but her entire childhood was spent pioneering and such. As an example, one thing she remembers is always being in trouble with this elder because her dresses were too short (mainly because she was growing and my grandma did not have the money to keep buying her new dresses).

Sorry if I'm repeating something you all have already posted about. If so a link to that would be great. Thanks again!

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I'm not sure if this would help but there is a thread that speaks a bit about 'back in the day' stuff.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/174728/1/Comparisons-between-todays-Witnesses-and-those-40-years-ago

• The Berean
    The Berean

Hi:

My reccolection is that the organization was far closer to the original model of Christianity back then. It was a post-war era and protectionism was common everywhere. Until 1972 there was only a Congregation Servant and his assistant. There was no Body of Elders to hide behind each other and assassinate individuals behind closed doors. Most every male could give talks, decide who would cut the lawn, and where the money would go. The CO's lived in travel trailers and provided their own cars. Pioneers spent 100 hours in their ministry and Duncan Donuts did not even exist.There were no air-conditioned assembly halls and most often people would spend days at a convention seated in wooden folding chairs. Everyone shared everything. I remember Jws growing food and passing it out to the needy. Though sometimes hazardous, members looked out for the orphans and widows (especially the good looking babes!)

While they still killed their wounded back then by shunning, at least everyone knew who had pulled the trigger ...and if errors were made ... heads would roll. I don't know how many agree but I believe that the political Elder arrangement destroyed any chance of equality. Today it is rank and privilege with a certain immunity from prosecution enjoyed by those appointed. Back then we admitted to and dealt with our sins regardless of who you were. Today, Jws learn how to hide character flaws by means a double life.

• yknot
    yknot

When did your mom leave?

Perhaps you could list some of her comments you overheard throughout your life.

The reason I ask is because while we all have a level of commonality, each individual is still unique in their experience.

Much has to do with how involved your Grandma was in the Society. For instance even though I was born in the 70's I too spent my childhood in FS, studying for the meetings, or at some assembly..... but had a BOE verses one servant

Hmm Elder picking on your mom over clothing ..... I take it your Grandpa wasn't attending the meetings.

Fatherless children (includes those whose father is in the home but non-JW) are viewed very low on the totem pole. Girls especially are viewed as baggage only to be married off and pioneering as soon as possible after graduation.

• bazackward
    bazackward
    When did your mom leave?

She was done right around when she graduated high school, so 1972-3ish.

Perhaps you could list some of her comments you overheard throughout your life.

Well the most common thing to hear her reference is the elder who kept picking on her about the length of her dresses. My grandma went as far as to sew additional pieces of cloth to the bottom of her dresses of fabric that didn't even match just so this elder would be satisfied.

She has mentioned two big themes and I guess if any of you have the ability to expound on them with your own experience, especially to help get my mind around the thought process and how it felt, that would be great.

1.) 1975 was coming and she was taught, especially in her pre-teen/early teen years that the world was about to end.

2.) Even if she tried she wouldn't be capable of conforming to what was expected of her by the elders and, to a lesser extent, her mother.

Hmm Elder picking on your mom over clothing ..... I take it your Grandpa wasn't attending the meetings.

My grandpa and grandma were divorced when my mom was fairly young and he was never a JW. I actually don't know anything about how they met ...good thing to ask since it is kind of odd that my very JW grandma would be married to a staunchly anti-JW man.

• yknot
    yknot

Was Grandma a convert or born/raised JW

Oct 1975 was HUGH, though denied by JWs now.

Randy (Dogpatch on JWN )runs Freeminds and he has some talks from that time period. (concentrate on 1967-1975).

http://www.freeminds.org/wav/wav.htm

I was only 18 months then but it is when my memory starts..... I remember practicing being quiet in a bomb shelter. And digging up various survival tins we had buried in the backyard.

Perhaps someone will upload a copy of the 2008 WT CD (archival collection of WTs from 1950 and Awakes from 1970 (hiding some of the most damning 1975 stuff))

Many Members here can tell hordes of stuff who are a bit older then me..... just open up another thread entitled "Tell me about your 1975 experiences" and ask about what they were told and believed from 1966 to 1975.

Also consider reading the 'best of' section on JWN http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/best-of/1

The Society (now called the Organization) is a publishing company disguised as a religion. We are called 'publishers'. We have a sales meeting with training session once a week to aid us in spreading the literature of the WTS and to find converts. Like all sales departments, goals are never fully met and are always encouraged to do more, as proof of our worthiness to be saved (or in the business world not to be fired). No JW is ever doing enough. Guilt and pressure are used to control it's members to seek nothing but the Organizations goals (no college, school sports, many forego cmarriage and children and any interests beyond Field Service because the sky was falling and falling Oct 1975!) Back then the literature was sold but the WTS stopped when faced with paying taxes on these profits. ..... she was a child salesperson, and that Elder's attention seems creepy.

Do some research into companies who had 'infant' salesman before child labor laws (rewarded with items earned from a company catalog)....... our lives growing up JW wasn't much different

• garybuss
    garybuss

I started first grade in 1950. I was peddling religious fiction tabloids alone at stranger's doors when I was 7. We were required to clock in 40 hours a month and that was my average most months. The printing company distributed plans to clock in 10 hours a week, more in the summer.

Everything took second place . . . sleep, school work, and recreation. Gas for my dad's service car came before money for food. I went to bed hungry till I was about 12. Then I was allowed to have an orange before bedtime. Sometimes we made popcorn on non-meeting nights. Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday nights we didn't get home early enough to make popcorn. Thursday we rarely got home before 11 pm.

My dad was an ignorant, superstitious, religious fanatic and my mother suffered from a severe case of untreated anxiety disorder. Home was crazy, the kingdom hall was crazy, and I was the dunce at school for never completing assigned homework. Life sucked!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit