Preaching to JW's

by k9groomer 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• k9groomer
    k9groomer

I know everyone here has different feelings about "religion/God, etc." I now consider myself Christian, got baptized in a Baptist church, etc.

I have my own business and have two JW's that occasionally work for me. My mom is a devout JW.

The other day for a reason that came up unrelated to religion/god, a groomer who works for me was asking me about the church woman's bible study I'm involved with while we were working. I answered her honestly, but didn't want to bring up anything controversial.

I have found different books on the net and found scriptures myself that I believe dispute JW theorys. If anyone has read a good book that's an easy understandable read or knows of specific scriptures or statements that I could bring up lightly in these situations that have helped pass the good word, I would greatly be appreciative if you could pass them on to me.

We have kept "god" out of the workplace, but I have spoken to ppl when my workers are not there about how Jesus changed my my life and bring up God when clients are having problems, etc. They are very good workers and I don't want to cause rifts or make things overly uncomfortable, but also want to enjoy my faith and maybe share thought tidbits that wouldn't be overly offensive to them.

THANK YOU!

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

I read 2 books by Philip Yancey this winter, that I weave into conversations all the time. They are full of thought provoking questions and bits of information. They are both easy reads.

Soul Survivor, How Thirteen Unlikely Mentors Helped My Faith Survive the Church

What's So Amazing About Grace?

Blithe

• Heaven
    Heaven

My father is a Ministerial Servant and he told me I should have nothing to do with my ex-husband. A death in our family had occurred and we had been talking about life and family. In a quiet voice I said to him...

"Dad. That's not what Jesus teaches in the Bible."

He put his head down and I'm not sure why. I couldn't really see his face, especially his eyes, so I wasn't sure if he was angry or sad. The day was a sad one so maybe that was it.

I then said to him "If I had stayed away from him, I couldn't show him how I am trying to apply Christ's teachings in my own life. We have talked a lot about the Bible. And we've had better communications. He is seeing things more clearly now and he is trying to apply the same things."

He didn't say anything.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

You can't!

• k9groomer
    k9groomer

I read 2 books by Philip Yancey this winter, that I weave into conversations all the time. They are full of thought provoking questions and bits of information. They are both easy reads.

Thank you! I LOVE to read just don't have a lot of extra time and I'm doing a lot of deep personal study which I'm sure will eventually help on my journey. It would be nice just to read and understand something fast, refer to and read again etc.

Heaven that is a neat story. Don't have a sad face.. If your dad's happy - YAY, facing the same thing with my mom. It's frustrating, but they are and/or think they are happy, not much you can do. Do you and your ex have any chance of getting back together? My ex and I are back together through Christ. It's a long unbelievable story I won't bore you with, but like your attitude. Two people trying to achieve the same goal can definitely aid in communication.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Yancey's What's so Amazing About Grace? is fantastic.

It even challenges 'regular' Christians' attitudes - never mind those of JWs!

However, I think the answer to your question lies in your initial post:

The other day for a reason that came up unrelated to religion/god, a groomer who works for me was asking me about the church woman's bible study I'm involved with while we were working. I answered her honestly, but didn't want to bring up anything controversial.

There is no better witness to the truth than to be yourself.

For now, forget about bombarding your colleague with refutations of her beliefs - like Happydad says, it probably won't work, as when someone is being 'attacked' the more likely reaction is to 'pull up the drawbridge'. You might be able to do the refuting later, but you need to lay the foundations first.

• k9groomer
    k9groomer

forget about bombarding your colleague with refutations of her beliefs - like Happydad says, it probably won't work, as when someone is being 'attacked' the more likely reaction is to 'pull up the drawbridge'. You might be able to do the refuting later, but you need to lay the foundations first.

Yes this is very good advice. I tried that with my mom, wrong move lol. I'll defintely check out that book.

Thank you all, Rhonda

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi k9,

I work for a JW who was "born in" and is certainly not born again. I respect him immensely, he is upright, honest, easy to deal with and we get along just great. We have had many talks and some scripture ping pong in the past. He has seen something in me for sure. Also, there was a calamity in his personal life which got him questioning. He had "ears to hear" at that point but subsequently decided to plough on with his "religion". There is a lot to loose after all. I have faith for him but it is going to be a long hall. I had a prophetic dream and it looks like it could be 10 years and more. For now, the Lord has told me to intercede for others.

You can read all the books you want, study the WT doctrine and find the gaping holes in it. However, there are no magic formulas to get JWs to see the truth. The only guaranteed thing to succeed is revelation from the Holy Spirit. Without Him you can try as hard as you like. Also, try and keep it to Jesus. You can go up many blind alleys but once they find out who Jesus really is it will all fall into place.

My advise is to take it slowly, lean not on any understanding you have but the prompts of the Holy Spirit. Always walk in love and building up, not tearing down and condemnation. That is the job of the enemy, not us!

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit