The Exorcist

by Colton 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Colton
    Colton

How many here have seen the film (or read the book) The Exorcist? Did you watch it when you were a Jehovah's Witness? Did it scare you?

I saw it when I was a teen in the 80s (long before I became a JW) and it scared the crap out of me. It still ranks high on my list of scariest movies ever!

• Clam
    Clam

I've seen it quite a few times and although I find it quite compelling viewing I can't say I find it too scary. I think it was the revolving head that took the edge off its believability for me.

As a Dub I wouldn't have dared watch it. There was a buzz around my hall at the time about it, with the usual double pronged message of it being an endorsement of demon possession whilst being forbidden to us to see. Although I think if I'd seen it when a Dub, it would probably have strengthened my beliefs.

• oompa
    oompa

lmao!......i was a born in dub and watched this at about 14-15......scared the shit out of me.....for some reason i confessed about it....and then gave a part on a circuit assembly about the danger of HBO!!!!.............oompa

• poppers
    poppers

for some reason i confessed about it....and then gave a part on a circuit assembly about the danger of HBO!!!!.............oompa

What a fine example you were.

• Colton
    Colton

Oompa, never knew you were such a kill joy.

• Big Tex
  • ziddina
    ziddina

Watched the "Exorcist" when I was older and found it to be a big yawn. This was before the incident in the haunted office building in Southern California... Anyway, used to watch sci-fi and horror as often as I could get away with it without my parents finding out. The straw that broke the camel's back [I stopped being afraid of horror movies] was some silly zombie movie - I was scared about watching it, but they had one scene where the hordes of zombies stormed the last holdout of the last 'normal' people, and they shot it from ground level - looked about as scary as the 'herd of elephants stampeding' scenes in the cheesy old Tarzan movies - in fact, since the zombies were gray and the elephants were gray... Looked identical!!

Worse scene I ever saw was in "Alien 2" where the android (I was channel surfing and didn't realize at first that it was an android) was acid-spit in half and was crawling across the floor... But the scene wasn'tscary - it was grotesque and sickening, tragic... Give me a good Hitchcockian mystery for real chills any day! I did like "Blair Witch Project", though, and there was a quiet little movie made in 2008 by one of the people involved with Blair Witch - "The Objective" - that was pretty good. I think the best horror movies are the ones that let your own mind do the scaring!!! [what? no smiley for scared??]

Speaking of WTBTS disapproval, I remember some BIG uproar over a video made by a rock group [when rock videos had just become popular] that showed a groupie being possessed by a demon and whisked away - in the early 80's, I think. When I finally DID see the video, I was disgusted with the WTBTS's chicken-church-lady-scaredy-cat attitude - the video was cheesy, funny, tongue-in-cheek and not scary at all!! (The groupie ends up as an illustration on a billboard); elements of science fiction here which the WTBTS wouldn't have been able to see!!

I am SOOOO glad I'm out of that religion!! Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit