UFC 97

by Deputy Dog 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Any UFC fans out there? Does Thales Leites have any shot against Anderson Silva? Does Chuck Liddell quit if he loses tonight?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

My bet is on Spider. And Liddell is getting pretty long in the tooth.

BTS

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

I hope Brock Lesnar gets his butt kicked at UFC 100

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I love UFC and used to do BJJ. For the record, Silva won comfortably in a very disappointing fight:

MONTREAL - The most action we saw in the first 14 minutes of the Anderson Silva-Thales Leites main event at UFC 97 was when the two middleweights touched gloves before the start of each round.

With one minute left in the third, we saw Silva come with a flying knee. The rest of the time we saw very little, unless you count Leites dropping the mat every 14 seconds to try and pull guard "action."

Seriously, we've seen better fights in the parking lot at the Meadowlands between Jets fans after the Jets won a game.

So boring was this fight, at the two-minute mark of the third round, the Bell Centre crowd started a "GSP" chant. Georges St-PIerre, Montreal's favorite son and a guest in the crowd. Not even on the fight card.

I felt bad for the crowd in the higher-up seats who had to watch this fight. At least I had a good view of Octagon girl Logan Stanton to help pass the time during the rounds.

Silva, defending his middleweight championship for a UFC record fifth straight time, picked up the offense in the fourth round, aiming leg kicks at Leites' ankle. At no point in time would he engage Leites when he lay on his back in an attempt to play jiu-jitsu. He just rolled his eyes and walked away.

The crowd did pretty much the same thing, trading boos and more choice words for walking away.

In the fifth and final round (thank you, sweet Jesus!), Silva finally punched Leites while he was on the ground. The crowd roared. It was the best thing they'd seen in 23 minutes.

We can't wait to hear Dana White apologize to the fans at the press conference. He's never been a man who's short on words. This should be an interesting post-fight interview.

Oh yeah, since every organized fight needs a winner, or at least a final scoring decision, I suppose we should oblige and give you that: Silva won the bout, his ninth straight, by unanimous decision. The judges scored it 49-46, 48-47, 50-46 for Silva.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

I'd love to see GSP fight Silva. GSP is fighting in July, so maybe they could get the matchup for the start of next year.

Looks like we can stick a fork in Chuck Liddell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit