No big H No Borg??

by Luo bou to 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

If the threat was not always just around the corner would anyone join? What would be the point? They teach that everyone gets a resurrection onto a paradise earth and are judged on how they; then behave:So if you knew the end would not come in your lifetime ,why would you bother trying to be good now?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Define "good".... Are we talking about Billy Graham 'good', or Mae West 'good'....???

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

What is the big H?

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

Well A then the H is silent Armageddon Big slaughter when J kills all the non JW's for not obeying the GB

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

I like the way you think Ziddina Tell me have you been good

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oooo, Luo Bou to, if you only knew.... (sultry shrug of the shoulders...) When I can post pix will post of me in belly dance outfits - giggle! Zid

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

You have asked multiple questions so I have multiple answers.

I think the threat of Armageddon right around the corner causes many to stay JWs, if they believe it. I don't know if it causes people to join, since reasons for joining a cult are complex and varied and often involve social relationships.

As far as being good out of fear of punishment or promise of reward, that may motivate some. However, I think that part of maturing as a human being is to get beyond that. That is appropriate for children. It shouldn't be for adults, and certainly not for anyone who is trying to have a spiritual life. I am reminded of the Muslim saint Rabia of Basra. The story goes that she walked the streets of her town with a flaming torch in one hand and a pail of water in the other. She said she was going to use the fire to burn down paradise and the water to douse the flames of hell. She wanted to love God out of a pure heart, not for fear or gain.

Whether one believes in God or not, having a sense of values and following them contributes to the quality of life of those who do it.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Perhaps, but a lot of contemporary churches hardly mention Armageddon and they are experiencing big increases. I think the attraction is more because of the need to be a part of a local 'community' of other people somehow (people are feeling more and more isolated from their neighbours and communities in the modern western Society) and the fear of being shunned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit