Humility

by Olin Moyles Ghost 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

When discussing doubts/concerns/disagreements about WT doctrines/practices with active JWs, have any of you ever been accused of not being humble enough? This seems to be a common JW reaction to anyone who disagrees/questions the WT society. Sometimes it is expressed as “do you think you know more than the FDS?” Other times it is a more general exhortation to be humble, “teachable,” and not “run ahead of the organization.”

I have done some thinking on this matter, because it just doesn’t sit right with me. In particular, I find it a bit odd that a JW—someone who is 100% convinced that he is right about the big questions in life—accuses me of not being humble when I question whether his religious leaders really have all the answers. Isn’t the reverse true? Am I not being more humble by admitting that I don’t know all the answers?

Of course, when I point this out, the JW replies that he is not the one who has all the answers—rather he’s humbly following the FDS which does have all the answers. I think it is important to point out that this is a distinction without a difference. The fact is that the JW is refusing to consider that his leaders (the leaders that he chose to align himself with) could be anything other than God's representatives on earth. Thus, he is refusing to consider the possibility that his choice to follow these leaders could be wrong. Is this not the height of pride and arrogance? Is it not the opposite of humility?

Further, if you follow this JW “logic,” would the JWs deem me sufficiently humble if I followed the teachings of the Episcopal Church, or the Republican Party, or Richard Dawkins? (I doubt it.)

I recognize that I’m “preaching to the converted” here, but doesn’t it take a great deal of humility to scrutinize your longest-held beliefs with an open mind and honest heart? And doesn’t it take a tremendous amount of humility to admit that you’ve been wrong about some very important things for your entire life?

• sir82
    sir82

"Humility" is another one of those words that the JWs have redefined to suit their needs.

"Humility" in the JW dictionary is a practical synonym for "submissive; unquestioningly obedient"

Another good example of redefinition for their own purposes is the word "lie". In the Insight book, they have redefined it as "telling untruth or witholding the truth from someone who deserves to know."

Thus, they can say whatever they like in court, to employers, to anyone "worldly" if it "furthers kingdmo interests", since worldly people and/or "Jehovah's enemies" don't have the right to know the truth.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

It's a red herring.

Their number one priority is LOYALTY to leadership. When ask questions or criticize leadership, you're attacking the very foundation of their whole life.

Ironically, their preaching work is comprised of knocking on doors and criticizing the religion of other people.

They're not big on the reciprocity of the Goose / Gander type.

They've been trained to engage in thought-stopping if they hear something negative about Mother. They honestly believe if they dwell on negative thoughts, it allows "a place for the Devil". They fear dying at Armageddon because of disloyalty.

It's maddening. It prevents you from simply discussing cold, hard reality/facts with them, no matter how intelligent they are.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    "Humility" is another one of those words that the JWs have redefined to suit their needs.

Excellent analysis.

It means, "blind submission" in WT land.

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

What you say sounds and is very right. I was also accused of not being humble.

But consider what Jesus said: But from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of the heavens is the goal toward which men press, and those pressing forward are seizing it. (Matthew 11:12)

So according to Jesus you have to press forward. You can just sit and what for the WT-society if you want to enter the Kingdom of God.

Then they missaply 2John 9 -11:

Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to YOU and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into YOUR homes or say a greeting to him. 11 For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works.

The scripture talks about the teaching of the Christ, it does not say the teaching of the Watchtower or the "Governing Body". The Bible should be the authority to all associated to the Watchtower-society, but when there is a contradicion between the WT and the Bible the JW:s chose the WT.

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

My husband a good few years ago had been questioning The resurrection of the annointed to heaven in 1918 / 19. He discussed at length this subject and the scripture 1 Thess 4 : 14 -17 with his brother who is an Elder and has been since he was about 12........over a good few months. His brother would try to counteract his arguments , but after a while of batting it back and forth his brother finally snapped and said.. " Do you really think that a window cleaner from Bishopbriggs would know better than the Faithful and Discreet Slave ?" What a cheek ! I mean what would he have said to Jesus. ......."Do you really think that a Carpenter from Nazareth can say he's the Son of God ?..........

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the point about the WT/JW practice of criticizing the teachings and leaders of other religions. If I recall correctly, there is a sidebar in the "Revelation Climax" book that has a partial list of Catholic Popes with quotes regarding some of the bad things they did. Now, that's all well and good, but if someone put together a similar list of bad acts by Russell, Rutherford, and others, such material would be considered "apostate" and a good JW would avoid it. Double standard much?

I have a related side question (and may be hijacking my own thread): where does the idea of "wait on Jehovah" come from? Is that concept (as taught by the WTS) in the Bible? Is that phrase in the Bible? I've heard this phrase quite a bit, and it seems to be an effective thought-stopping device for lots of JWs. I'm just curious about its origin.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"Wait on Jehovah" was born from necessity.

It means NEVER having to say you're sorry. It's the companion of Noo-Lite.

Example: Those life-saving Clotting Factor VIII fractions? Noo-Lite, you can TAKE them.

No need to apologize for the dead JWs that were foolish enough to let book salesmen guide their medical decisions.

• sir82
    sir82
    Is that concept (as taught by the WTS) in the Bible? Is that phrase in the Bible?

Yeah it's in the NWT - I don't know how it is translated elsewhere

Lamentations 3:24 - “Jehovah is my share,” my soul has said, “that is why I shall show a waiting attitude for him.”

Micah 7:7 - " But as for me, it is for Jehovah that I shall keep on the lookout. I will show a waiting attitude for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. "

Of course, it's another redefinition that suits the JW organization. "waiting on Jehovah" really means "Don't criticize or report wrongdoing by anyone with spiritual authority - just 'wait on Jehovah' to sort it out."

• Spook
    Spook

I don't particularly find humility to be a great virtue anyway.

But for JW's, I have successfully used the reasoning that forced elders to conclude that I, with my objections, was more humble than the governing body. Yes, I got that specific admission from elders on a JC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit