brotherly love in bethel

by josephus 8 Replies latest jw friends

• josephus
    josephus

following up on refiners story, i heard a good one about the gb.

one of the gb (im not sure which one was visiting ireland. he walked in the door and stopped. turned around ran his finger over the top of the door, and wiped it looking for dust.

when he finished he ignored the greeting of the local bigwigs and demanded, "WHOS IN CHARGE OD BETHEL CLEANING ?" "I WANT TO HAVE A WORD WITH HIM" this is true i swear to god.

my freind an elder was present at the time. another story i know about took place in the ireland bethel.

another freing (a plumber) was asked to drive down and fix the heating system. it being winter my freind agreed top fix it for free and pay for the parts. he drove 120 miles to newcastle co wicklow, and knocked the door.

they informed him he couldnt enter unless he shaved his beard off!!!! he said noand left. they spent the next week in the cold before paying a plumber (beardless no dought) to fix it.

all true i swear. i heard these stories from eyewitnesses, or the individuals involved.

nice ay

josephus

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Josephus,

You should met Judge Rutherford.

• joelbear
    joelbear

My two wacky stories about eccentric brothers in charge at bethel.

Once, the home overseer at the farm stormed into my work area with a towel that my roommate had used to wipe up a spill. This was a bethel no no, there were rags in the floor supply closet for this. A $2.00 bethel towel was at stake here. I thought the guy was gonna turn purple with anger. I told him my roommate did it, which was the truth. The Home Overseer stormed out shouting, "Well he's gonna have to pay for this towel!!!" Truth is stranger than fiction man.

The other had to do with my work overseer and his megalomaniac control of the magic markers we used to mark errors on subscription stencil plates. He wouldn't give you a new one until the old one was below the steel casing and dried up completely. I remember one time a very sweet sister warning me quietly not to ask for one. I ignored her advice and he took my magic marker and examined it carefully before loudly proclaiming that it was not used up enough for me to need a new one and that it would be wasteful for him to give me a new one. I walked humiliated back to my work area. Freaky man, freaky.

take care

Joel

• anglise
    anglise

This one wasnt in a Bethel but the beard story reminded me.
    On a local KH over the xmas period they needed to do some major ground work and lots of brothers turned up from other congs as volunteers.
    One fairly new brother had come about 50 miles at his own expense and was a construction worker by trade, but of course he wasnt suitably qualified to drive the digger that they had hired in because he had a beard!! Not only that his beard actually disqualified him from working on the kh site totally.
    He ended up going home.

• Fouramese
    Fouramese

This one wasnt in a Bethel but the beard story reminded me.
    On a local KH over the xmas period they needed to do some major ground work and lots of brothers turned up from other congs as volunteers. One fairly new brother had come about 50 miles at his own expense and was a construction worker by trade, but of course he wasnt suitably qualified to drive the digger that they had hired in because he had a beard!! Not only that his beard actually disqualified him from working on the kh site totally. He ended up going home.

<eyes rolling> UGH! Well, you know those privileges...it is a grand privilege indeed to shave one's face so that one may qualify for a larger better privilege of working for free on a construction project. So...I hope the 'rest of the story' as Paul Harvey says..was to tell the project overseer "take this project and"

My daughter had only recently been reinstated when our Hall was being built...her privileges hadn't been reinstated yet..it was okay for her 4 yr old daughter to be used but she was unable to be used. I made a big enough stink over it saying that as a family if we could not all work on the Hall then we would none of us work...they needed the bodies...they put her to work in the nursery. A month after the completion of the Hall...one of the key persons working 'with privileges' was disfellowshipped for several infractions of the Bible and to think she was busy working her side interests right there on the project..So the days have passed when God says things like because David had blood on his hands he could not personally build the temple...people have dirty little secrets who have privileges all the time. A beard? That is still way too much legalism for moi.

• LDH
    LDH

Fouramese, welcome to the board. and you are right when you say:

people have dirty little secrets who have privileges all the time
    We all know the "Smellders" aren't above reproach--they just like to act like they are.

Lisa

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Hilarious stories.

Bangalore

• WildeLover
    WildeLover

very funny. :-)

that irish story. must have been a certain mr andrews no doubt...........

WildeLover

• perfect1
    perfect1

More more more

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit