I'm making an anniversary gift & it makes me sad

by homeschool 9 Replies latest jw friends

• homeschool
    homeschool

It's my sister's 10th anniversary this Friday, and I got all gung ho with making a cd with baby pics through wedding day for both she and her husband. But as I was getting finished making it, a flood of memories came back as to how I was not only NOT IN my big sister's wedding, but I was barely even invited because I was having jw doubts at the time. grrrrrrr, kinda left me in a sad mood..... I get so angry at the Borg for making both my sisters exclude me from their weddings

• garybuss
    garybuss

I don't know your family, but in my world, the Watch Tower Society never made anyone do anything rude or offensive to me. All the people did their actions of their won free will. I've seen people who didn't want to follow Watch Tower Corporation directions . . . and they didn't.

It's a nice game to write the relatives a free pass by blaming their chosen behaviors on the company they work for but I'm not buying it. My relatives disrespected me because they wanted to.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I know how you feel. My sister just got married, and I wasn't invited, like I figured, and was dealing with it just fine until I ran into a worldly ex-teacher of hers who was at her wedding and wanted to know why I wasn't.

• homeschool
    homeschool

Thanks Gary.... and to lovebirthdays...i Love birthdays too Just havin' a "blah" moment here, grrrrrrr

• StAnn
    StAnn

Are you and your sister on good terms now?

And GaryBuss is right, people make their choices and are responsible for their own behavior.

StAnn

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    I know how you feel. My sister just got married, and I wasn't invited, like I figured, and was dealing with it just fine until I ran into a worldly ex-teacher of hers who was at her wedding and wanted to know why I wasn't.

I hope you told her the truth. That would be a good witness about the witnesses.

• homeschool
    homeschool

stAnn....my sis and I are on good terms now. we play racketball together and workout together but we cant talk religion because she accuses me of just trying to prove them wrong (duh, hehe). Maybe one day I will tell her how my feelings are hurt...I never really thought to do that. I know what she will say (that it was ME who chose to leave Jehovah, so I chose my own actions....and then I will make her say the SHE chose her own actions against me as well). Thanks for the comments. I'm feeling better today :-)

• Nellie
    Nellie

It's a tough balancing act when you're dealing with this. Part of me finds it hard to be angry at my best friend for shunning me (because I know her reasons why), but another part of me says - WTF - you should be my friend FIRST before following their stupid rules. After all we've been to each other and done for each other! Depending on the day, I change perspectives.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

Glad you're feeling better today, homeschool.

No, I didn't tell her, jamiebowers. Right after they got married they moved away to where the need was greater. I am guessing I will never talk to her again. I've only talked to her twice since I left 11 years ago, and only because I ran into her while out and about. She has never met my children, who are now 3 and 5. TBH, it would be like talking to a brick wall anyway. I have used my family situation as an effective "witness" about the witnesses to several people who don't know that much about the religion, and view it as a group of nice, but harmlessly misguided people, and I know it has given them a different view.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

Duh, I'm sorry, I'm sick and sleep-deprived, and read it as telling my sister how I felt. I always tell people in that situation, just keeping it brief and calm, and that really is quite an effective tool, which leads to them asking more questions, and getting a good overall glimpse into the ugly side of the religion that they haven't seen. I'm off to crawl under a rock now. Or maybe get some caffeine to jolt me into making sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit