Did You Know That 1,700 of Shakespeare's Words Were FIRST Used By Him?

by lurk3r 8 Replies latest jw friends

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

wow.

One of the phrases that originated from him - "All that glitters is not gold". Hmmmm. Can you say "Stairway to Heaven?".

lurk3r

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Shakespeare is THE man!

It may be an acquired taste, but his words are the tops..Who might be nearest today?

Bob Dylan?

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

All that GLISTERS is not gold

• ninja
    ninja

who was william shakespeare really?...francis bacon?...eddie de vere?......most convincing answer gets my second best bed....he he

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

How can anyone say Shakespeare was the first to use any particular word? We don't have access to every text to which he may have been exposed. Presumably what is meant is that Shakespeare has the first currently recorded use of 1,700 words, which is to say something quite different.

I was going to say glisters too but another nitpicker (I mean person with a procilvity for exactitude) got there first. I sure am nitpicking.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The author of that blog does not distinguish between first use and first attestation. There is a difference.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

How can anyone say Shakespeare was the first to use any particular word? We don't have access to every text to which he may have been exposed. Presumably what is meant is that Shakespeare has the first currently recorded use of 1,700 words, which is to say something quite different.

No one is saying that he, without a doubt, was the first human being to utter a particular word--that's ridiculous. But we attribute the coinage of thsoe words to him because they are the first recorded instances. You take things WAY too literally.

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

Ths impresses upon me that you can't take everything at face value. Thanks guys...and gal.

I DO take tings way to literally..often, and recognize it as something that I have to work, and am. Thanks again.

so really? in Stairway to Heaven its says all that GLISTERS is gold eh? Very interesting!

I KNOWWWWWWWWW...I was kidding!!!!

lurk3r

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I DO take tings way to literally..often, and recognize it as something that I have to work, and am. Thanks again.

Lurker, I wasn't directing those comments to you, but to slimboyfat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit