grade/high school feelings you get from WT...no matter your age...

by oompa 6 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

I am an adult.....my friends here and elsewhere are adults too......janitors, painters, lawyers, carpenters, students, dancers........but some have also been made to feel like children by the elders......the power they wield is more like a teacher or principle........when the shit starts hittin the fan, it is kinda funny how many of us relate to this feeling of being in trouble in school........and your parents will find out............oompa

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Yeah it's ridiculous to feel like like you need to look over your shoulder depending on who you're with or if you're buying Easter eggs. God why did my parents have to get involved in this cult?

• merfi
    merfi

Kind of on the flip side of this -- Now, when I have my biannual and annual reviews at work, I'm in the boss's office across from his desk, waiting on his words of 'judgement'. Even though it's most always great and I have nothing to worry about, it feels so much like 'the back room'. I get a little weirded out.

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

I remember feeling that way when an Elder told us not to watch Schindler's List when it aired on television...hubby and I had already seen the movie, and I thought that the movie was historically significant.

At the time, I thought that the Society was being a wee bit ridiculous. Now I realize that they are massive control freaks.

• asilentone
    asilentone

yes, My Mom asked me if I have been watching R Rated Movies , I did not answer her question, I just changed the subject somehow.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    made to feel like children by the elders

An experienced Witness ought to know when to "take note of counsel" and when to ignore it because an elder (or busybody sister) is just spouting a personal opinion, which may be ignored..

A psychologist might say that nobody "makes us feel" anything, we chose how we feel by choosing how to react to situations - as Oompa said, we are talking about adults

Marjory's example is a case in point . No elder has the right (even by the WT guidelines) to chose which film you may watch. We all know that another elder would say different. The film she mentioned was in my video collection when I was an elder and never thought anything of it.

If anybody tells another Witness what to do, the simple thing is to ignore it or refer him to the many articles where the WT has said that nobody can make rules for others, apart from the clear cut behaviour rules of course..

• Marjorie
    Marjorie
    An experienced Witness ought to know when to "take note of counsel" and when to ignore it because an elder (or busybody sister) is just spouting a personal opinion, which may be ignored..

Glad to read that BB, because that's just what I did: ignored him, and watched it again, anyway!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit