If You Didn't Have to Count Time

by journey-on 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• journey-on
    journey-on

....how many do you think would actually go out in service? If they didn't think some elder was keeping up with their hours and number of placements, I think most witnesses would avoid it altogether.

...also, if the brothers didn't have a corporate congregational ladder to climb, would they make any real effort? I think many of them do it because being an elder or MS gives them a sense of accomplishment and a certain authority they otherwise would not enjoy in the mundane world. What do you think?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I think most JWs go out only to be seen by other JWs. Most aren't interested in the time and effort it takes to have a "bible study".

W

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

If I didn't have to "count time" or do any other stupid recruitment activities, I wouldn't have. What is more, I probably could have stayed in to keep family happy and fill a seat at the hall on a fairly regular basis. Not that I would have believed any of the doctrines, but I could have enjoyed the social aspect at least if there had been any real sense of community beyond the "the end is so near" mentality.

Any of you Watchtower people reading this? Get rid of field service and you might not lose so many members.

Dave

• journey-on
    journey-on

I honestly believe counting time and placements is a way for the printing company to make money, NOT to preach "the good news of the kingdom" like they lead you to believe. Whether the literature is placed or not, it gets bought. The WT doesn't care whether the B/S of the congregations are buying it or some doofus at the door is. But, the pressure is on the congregation to buy, buy, buy. Never mind that most of it winds up in your basement or closet or at the laundromat somewhere.

• StAnn
    StAnn

If they didn't have to count time.....

Reniaa would never post here again. te he te he

StAnn

• journey-on
    journey-on

I think you're right about that StAnn. Same with Rosalee (if anyone remembers).

• yknot
    yknot

If I still believed, yes I would.

Other religions have community outreaches that are voluntary and door to door but none of them 'count time'.

If I could accept Trinity I doubt very much of my life would that different in regards to FS (when I did actual FS).

I have spoken to my husband's church's visitation committee and they have tracts and invitations too now.

Motivation by love makes it easy, motivation by WTS brow beating makes it a chore, and since massaging the numbers has taken hold in my generation practically no one does real FS except when they think somebody important is watching.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

I think Journey-on is on to something saying, "I honestly believe counting time and placements is a way for the printing company to make money, NOT to preach "the good news of the kingdom" like they lead you to believe. Whether the literature is placed or not, it gets bought... the pressure is on the congregation to buy, buy, buy."

Selling literature is and has been their main means of support for their entire existence. Without it, they would have and be nothing. Making their followers go out in FS makes them feel like they have to buy the stuff, whether they actually place any of it or not.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I hated FS, but then again, I honestly never fully believed or embraced the religion, I went because I had to. I only put in a token 2-4 hours a month because it was "required". I would never classify my ministry as effective. Maybe it would be different if I truly believed in the cause.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I hope those brothers and sisters whose jobs have been outsourced by the WT though they've given their lives to them and for whom there isn't even social security because they haven't been giving to the pool and whose consolation is special pioneering ....

I hope these have the sense to engage in "Theocratic Warfare" and just put down that they've gone out the required hours (120?)

I wonder how it is that JW's can't see that turning in non-anonymous time, and keeping records of time is exactly the same as keeping a PRC (publisher's record card) on the amount of money you donate.

"Hey Sam, if you can get your donations up, I can't see anything preventing you from being a servant."

How can they not see that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit